Hi

Ken Davison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined R2R today looking for some help with the software for my Radion lighting EcoSmart and eco connect which for some reason are not connecting :confused:

I have been keeping fish now for about 66 years, yes I am a bit of a fossil :) I spent most my working life in the Middle East where I took up scuba diving and was a qualified BSAC member and a PADI instructor recording over 4000 reefand wreck dives in the Arabian Gulf, Indian Ocean, Red Sea and the Gulf of Aqaba.

I have been keeping Marine fish for two years now and I am following in the footsteps of Sanjay Joshi with no water changes.

The reason for no water changes as a choice was the same as Sanjay's, I live in an apartment over my garden centre shop and being an old fart lugging gallons of water upstairs was not an option :rolleyes: I read loads of information on the subject and watch shed loads of videos prior to setting up my system.

My main tank holds 77 US Gals and the sump holds 26 US Gals this was my original setup. The sump had a skimmer and I had one phosphate filter pad particle straining the water before the return pump.

I set the system up slowly building my reef from live rock and introducing four Green chromis after three weeks and I developed it from there. After about four months the skimmer started playing up and again during that time I had been studying what a skimmer did and whilst some would disagree I decided it was removing as much good stuff as bad stuff.

I had also been looking at refugiums as a more natural way of filtering out the bad stuff whilst letting the good stuff carry on the good work. I looked at my sump and being new to the situation thought it was to small for a refugium so I purchased a 50 US Gal tank to sit along side my main tank piped into the sump using a second return pump to circulate the water.

It worked very well but looked a mess :oops:

After a further six months I decided to try and rectify the situation and in the compartment where the skimmer had stood I installed a light and introduced a handful of Chaetomorpha Macro algae and it grew extremely well so I new it was doing a good job.

I have since cleaned out the second tank and now use it for fragging.

I hope I have not bored you all to much, will post again with some photos and videos tomorrow.

AquaLocker

AquaLocker.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodbye, Summer! (2).jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I don't use those lights, so no help here. But someone will jump in that uses them. Or, you can post a separate question in the Lighting Forum and definitely those with expertise will see it there!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back