High Alk/Mg, low alk

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. So I’m having a problem here. Yesterday , Sunday (my test days after my WC), I tested my parameters and notice my major elements in weird places. The previous week my Allalinity was beginning to drop after I added a new two head hammer coral, so I knew my alkalinity was out of place. I tested my Parameters after my WC and my elements read : Alk-6.7dkh, cal-575ppm, and Mg-1800ppm. I ordered all for reef a few days ago , before I knew that my other two calcium and magnesium were too high. I’m not sure whether to purchase 2 part, or Red Sea foundation instead . Any ideas as to what to purchase to dose alkalinity?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what should I do about calcium and magnesium ? How is it that my major elects are in weird places even after I’ve been doing weekly water changes, and only having two hammers in my tank ? Thank you guys !

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I knew, I have a similar problem.
I just went to my LFS today and bought Red Sea B part alkality (A,B,C for the three trace elements) and dosed, my alk went from 6.7 to 7.2, I’m increasing by .5 dkh a day, the most you would want to do is 1dkh a day, the slower better . I haven’t checked my other elements , I’m going to tomorrow once I water change and will check what me calcium come out to and mag

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your calcium and magnesium get that high?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even know I only have two hammers and have never dosed anything. I retested 5 times and got the same results
How are you testing salinity? Without dosing they shouldn't be able to reach that level.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing salinity? Without dosing they shouldn't be able to reach that level.
I have a salt refractometer I use from BRS. I double check the salinity every water change. I keep it at 1.025 . That’s what I’m saying I am as clueless as anybody would. I will retest tomorrow and show you guys the results

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a salt refractometer I use from BRS. I double check the salinity every water change. I keep it at 1.025 . That’s what I’m saying I am as clueless as anybody would. I will retest tomorrow and show you guys the results
Do you have calibration fluid for it? I check mine before every use. I have to calibrate it very often.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have calibration fluid for it? I check mine before every use. I have to calibrate it very often.
Yes I do I double check that too. This is why I’m so confused . My test kit isn’t old either, I don’t believe it has an expiration date on it , but I bought it last November

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked to see what your salt mix is supposed to mix to? Parameters should be listed.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4D228BEC-0578-4A5B-B5F5-A0AA893FD6FB.jpeg
Parameters alk, cal, and mag results today after my water change , been dosing Red Sea alk the past days and slowly getting up to 9dKH

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back