cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my Alk and it came up 12.2 dKH, I normally run it at 8.0 and it stayed there up until the middle of November. I did a water change with red sea salt and I turned my doser to 2ml every other day and that was about two weeks ago but now like I said before 12.2, before the water change it was reading 11.2.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test the alk of the saltwater you used to do the waterchange? If you're using coral pro it's alkalinity can definitely be above 12dkh

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Salt has a high level of alk, therefore it would raise your alk in your tank with each water change. I believe the alk in the salt is 12. I would recommend not dosing any alk and allowing it to drop on its own.
Another water change will only raise it.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no but I am getting to the bottom of my salt so that might be why maybe? but should I keep my doser at that for now?

Well, depends on where you want to keep your alkalinity. If you want to keep it more in the 10dkh range, then turn off the doser and wait. Test every day or other day to monitor how fast your tank is consuming alkalinity.

Many guys that want to keep an alkalinity lower than the listed stats on coral pro pr other high alk salts end up switching ro a salt with lower alk. That way when you do water changes it doesn't spike alk.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no but I am getting to the bottom of my salt so that might be why maybe? but should I keep my doser at that for now?

That may be why it is a little higher than "normal", but coral pro is intentionally a higher dkh salt

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my Alk and it came up 12.2 dKH, I normally run it at 8.0 and it stayed there up until the middle of November. I did a water change with red sea salt and I turned my doser to 2ml every other day and that was about two weeks ago but now like I said before 12.2, before the water change it was reading 11.2.
If you got the Red Sea Coral Pro "Black Bucket" mix, it mixes to about 12.5 dkh.
The Red Sea "Blue Bucket" is more like 8 dkh.

But... You need to test your main display more often and if you don't have it, do yourself a favor and buy the Hanna Alk Checker.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/hanna-checker-marine-alkalinity-dkh.html

:)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the blue bucket the one with the lower levels and ok ill turn the doser off and see how a week does

Yeah the blue bucket salt shouldn't have a dkh over around 8. I would monitor the tank daily by testing alkalinity, with the doser off. This way you can see how much alkalinity the tank is consuming daily and calculate the dosing amount from that. Then when you have the tank where you want it, test the fresh made saltwater to see where that alkalinity is compared to where you are keeping the tank.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the blue bucket the one with the lower levels and ok ill turn the doser off and see how a week does

Sorry about that, I already had in my brain that you were using coral pro, even though you answered no. Lol. Just monitor with doser off for a bit is probably the best bet. If u have any salt left you could mix some up and test that as well.

Side question, how are you measuring salinity?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I have a hanna checker and I know at one point I had a bad batch of reagent and I will do that.
Also, Make sure that your refractometer is calibrated with .35 solution and please don't zero it out using RO/DI water.
Made that mistake one time myself :eek:

(lol)
My reef is at the mercy of the Two Little Fishes (natural seawater) .35 solution :D

Good luck and you'll get your alk doser tuned in :)

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well on Saturday I tested my alk and it came up to 12.4, well I haven't tested it till today and its now down to 11.6. It is finally coming back down but slowly which is good.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little update and getting frustrated, I made up a new batch of water and I tested it like I was suggested to and it two buckets came up at 14.8 and another bucket came up at 15. I do not understand why that is I even used a new bottle of reagent. so now I had to put it in my tank well I put it in and I waited for about an hour and before I tested it I changed the battery in the checker. I went and did the test and it came up at 14.8. I have the blue bucket and its suppose to have a low alk, so I don't understand or know what to do. should I contact red sea?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t know if the high alk in the mix is a test error if a salt batch issue. Testing with another kit or at an lfs makes sense. Did you make up a large fraction of the salt mix? They can separate in shipping and become inhomogeneous.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back