High alkalinity

Muney Mun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is between 11 & 12 and all of my other parameters would be considered in the normal range. Should I do something to bring it down and if so what? If alk is to high what will it hurt?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic Acid will bring down ALK. 11-12 is not out of range though, your right there.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks seem to have problems with stony corals at high alkalinity levels when they are running GFO or carbon dosing or using a calcium reactor. If that doesn't describe you, then I predict no problem. And if you aren't having a problem (corals look great, tank looks great) then don't do anything about it! :)

FWIW, 11-12 is the "high side" of the recommended range for alkalinity - 7-8 being on the low side. I recommend the high side for most folks (aside from the noted exceptions) due to the margin of safety if gives you before alk consumption in the tank could potentially dip alk below 7. Alkalinity below 7 dKH will not give adequate protection against pH swings.

-Matt

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals tends to run high on alk, whats your calcium at?

OP
OP
M

Muney Mun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks seem to have problems with stony corals at high alkalinity levels when they are running GFO or carbon dosing or using a calcium reactor. If that doesn't describe you, then I predict no problem. And if you aren't having a problem (corals look great, tank looks great) then don't do anything about it! :)

FWIW, 11-12 is the "high side" of the recommended range for alkalinity - 7-8 being on the low side. I recommend the high side for most folks (aside from the noted exceptions) due to the margin of safety if gives you before alk consumption in the tank could potentially dip alk below 7. Alkalinity below 7 dKH will not give adequate protection against pH swings.

-Matt

I have sps, lps, & soft corals will they be ok with my alk that high

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carbon dose

By Carbon dosing you mean, vodka, vinegar or bio pellets right?

Low nutrient systems tend to run better with Alk at or below 8DKH. If your not running one of these systems I would imagine you'll be fine and you could just let things fall naturally as your corals consume alk and calcium. I wouldn't let it go any higher than that though. Your tank seems to be running pretty close to what Reef crystals does at this point.

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you did something to have it spike that high. (accidentally left doser on). Then I would just let it come down on its own. Defiantly want to check your salt mix to see if thats where its coming from.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "acidity" (that being essentially negative alkalinity) of muriatic acid straight from the bottle is about 11,000 meq/L.

So adding 1/11,000 of the water volume as this acid will drop alkalinity by 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH).

You want a drop of 13-7 = 6 dKH, or 2.1 times that amount, so you'd add 1/5,100th of the water volume.

13 gallons ~ 49 L

1/5100 of 49 L = 9.6 mL

So I'd add 5 ml and stir well for a few minutes and see what alkalinity you get. Then dose again assuming it seems on the right track.

You'll need to aerate well after adding the acid to blow off the excess CO2 and bring up the pH.
Quote taken from Randal Holmes-Farley

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think if your carbon dosing it would be best to stop dosing until your alk is in target range.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's something else to consider. How old is your tank? How soon after a water change are you testing and how often are your water changes? Also what is your Mag reading? Mag helps our stoney corals absorb alk/ca so if its low then your alk may now being used as quickly/easily.

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it alone and let it come down on its own. May want to change salt brand if that is the cause.

LowezAkar24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is between 11 & 12 and all of my other parameters would be considered in the normal range. Should I do something to bring it down and if so what? If alk is to high what will it hurt?

How is your tank inhabitants and corals responding to the high alk? If everything have been going well, LEAVE IT ALONE! If there are problems as it pertains to high alk as stated above, you may have to consider going to Instant Ocean which has significantly lower Alkalinity than Reef Crystals. Are you dosing for PH or Alkalinity? What is your Calcium level?

OP
OP
M

Muney Mun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium was 480 last rounds of water parameter check but the reason I think it is high is because I used a oh buffer and after that is when I noticed it being high so I'm 95% confident that is what caused the spike. All livestock seems to be doing ok as far as I can tell. I'm just going to let it come down naturally instead of taking measures to bring it down.

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you did something to have it spike that high. (accidentally left doser on). Then I would just let it come down on its own. Defiantly want to check your salt mix to see if thats where its coming from.
He is using reef crystals. I am also using RC and having the same problem. Its gotta be the salt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back