High alkalinity

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, this thread is several years old. :)

Randy,

I'm watching a friends system while he's out of town. His Alk is through the roof, it's well over 14dkh. I'm not sure how it got that way but it is and it's not coming down. His system is around 600 gallons according to him. Multiple tanks and sumps all tied together. Anyway I'm trying to get a handle on it, some sps are bleaching. He started dosing Aquaforest 123 right before he left, I turned off component 2 (alk) about 4 days ago but it's still above the limit of the Red Sea test kit. I have no clue what he did to get it that high to begin with. He's a little scatterbrained. I suspect he's been randomly dosing all kinds of stuff with no rhyme or reason. Should I attempt to bring it down with muriatic acid? If so, how fast/slow should I go?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'd use a second syringe of titrant to see exactly how high the alk is.

Make sure there are enough nutrients in the system to prevent ULNS. Feed more if needed.

Algae is temporary.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'd use a second syringe of titrant to see exactly how high the alk is.

Make sure there are enough nutrients in the system to prevent ULNS. Feed more if needed.

Algae is temporary.

I did fill the syringe again, it's a total of 1.2ml to the color change. I don't know what that equates to but I'm guessing it's up around 16 or so. I'll tell his wife to start feeding heavy.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this online, I'm at work right now. If I did the math right it's at 17.52...

redsea_pro-13.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's the right calculation. I'd probably monitor it rather than add acid as that drops pH hugely and is easy to overshoot.

But if you do it slowly and carefully, it will solve the problem (assuming the kit is accurate). :)

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's the right calculation. I'd probably monitor it rather than add acid as that drops pH hugely and is easy to overshoot.

But if you do it slowly and carefully, it will solve the problem (assuming the kit is accurate). :)

I'll wait and see. It should be accurate, I used his kit first, then mine to verify his because I didn't believe it.

Back