High Antimony found on Triton ICP

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just got my Triton results back and most stuff was fine, with just a few things slightly low, nothing I’m concerned about. But my Antimony level was found to be 30 ug/l.

So first how big of a concern is this and what could it cause In the tank? I’ve been having issues with some SPS, and a few receding LPS lately but most others are doing fine.

What could cause it? The test mentioned plastic, but I don’t really have anything that isn’t made for tanks that’s made out of plastic in my tank. Main plastic things are Tunze, Maxspect gyre pumps. My eheim return pump (which is 14 years old). Green killing machine UV. Then just random stuff like Red Sea filter cups . I mix my saltwater in Brutes and my top off container is a brute. I did previously keep my salt in a Lowe’s bucket but I haven’t for months.

So any ideas what else to look for? Should I take action to remove it? Will a poly filter remove it? I run Rox carbon, not sure if that is able to remove it.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing. It most likely was a false positive. Those ICP tests aren't 100% foolproof and contamination does get into samples and report false positives. Search a bit on this forum for a bunch of people reporting Triton tests with elevated lead/tin at the same time.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run into the same thing. I did an ATI ICP test last month and Antimony was through the roof. I also started experiencing STN on acros (but this may be due to some Dino's).

I did multiple water changes, ran poly filter and chemipure and re-did the test this time with both ATI and Triton and again the Antimony is high. Its down to 26 from the mid-fourties last month.

I removed some 3d printed ABS plastic parts last month. I can't find any other source. I do not have green hoses and the only plastic in my system are two WAV pumps and their magnetic holders.

I'm stumped!

I do have a couple pieces of "shapes" rock mixed in with my Marco....starting to wonder

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I’m not sure what to do with this. I was thinking of trying. Poly filter.

At least this ICP verified that my home tests and test procedures are working.

Triton calcium: 460
My measurement (salifert): 470

Triton Mag: 1435
My measurement (salifert): 1470

Triton phosphorus: 4.8 ug/l
My measurement (Hanna ULR phosphorus): 6 ppb.

This was before I started dosing phosphate again. I’ve been dosing phosphate to raise my phosphate level and figured out I need to add .06 ppm daily to maintain it. Good to know my test results are in line with theirs.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read antimony is used as a fire retardant. Maybe filter batting or new filter socks.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumping this! so this is twice now that I have had elevated Sb I am at 14. yikes! @trmiv our commonality is the green killing machine. I recently put back online bc for ich prevention added a couple new fish. Come to think of it the last time I sent in ICP I was also running for DINO. I am now very suspect of this cheap piece of equipment. I wish these tests were cheaper for sure. I think I am going to give with the one that tests my rodi or my awc water(korallia powerhead) in order to zero in on the culprit. i guess I am gonna bite the bullet and do 1x/month for a while. jesus this hobby is getting cost prohibitive!!

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the million dollar question is will poly filter absorb Sb. or GAC. I think @Randy Holmes-Farley said it depends what form it's in but how do we know that?

I also experienced RTN on a bunch of beautiful frags. I attributed to salinity fluctuation when adding new sump but at the same time I added the green killing machine

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

We have had several cases of customers with elevated antimony in their tanks, often in connection with the UV apparatus mentioned two posts above.

We are measuring antimony at several ICP-OES emission wavelengths, so interference can be ruled out.

Best regards,
Christoph

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumping this! so this is twice now that I have had elevated Sb I am at 14. yikes! @trmiv our commonality is the green killing machine. I recently put back online bc for ich prevention added a couple new fish. Come to think of it the last time I sent in ICP I was also running for DINO. I am now very suspect of this cheap piece of equipment. I wish these tests were cheaper for sure. I think I am going to give with the one that tests my rodi or my awc water(korallia powerhead) in order to zero in on the culprit. i guess I am gonna bite the bullet and do 1x/month for a while. jesus this hobby is getting cost prohibitive!!
I also have a green killing machine and got a very high antimony level of 26! I just remember that i was dealing with dinos ( still am ) when i did the icp test. Does polyfilter remove it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a green killing machine and got a very high antimony level of 26! I just remember that i was dealing with dinos ( still am ) when i did the icp test. Does polyfilter remove it?

I am not sure if a polyfilter will remove it. It may.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

We have had several cases of customers with elevated antimony in their tanks, often in connection with the UV apparatus mentioned two posts above.

We are measuring antimony at several ICP-OES emission wavelengths, so interference can be ruled out.

Best regards,
Christoph

Thanks for the info!

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pumps on those Little Green Killing machines are not for use in saltwater IMO. The manufacturer says they're fine but they're not. The shaft is made of subpar stainless and rusts. I got one and it started to rust within a week, I complained and they sent out a new pump. It rusted within a week so they sent out a whole new unit. This one lasted longer, about a month, but still ended up rusting.
Im about to check mines now you scared me lol i know antimony has to coke out of something and every other thing i have in the tank is fairly new.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. ok this hypothesis is gaining some data. my water is perfect otherwise and I am doing 1gall /day awc. So I am gonna let that ride out. change out carbon tomorrow. I think I'm going to do an ATI to test both my rodi as well as my awc (power head in there). that will eliminate the source water from the equation.

Since I am dosing PO4 to try to avoid Dinos and stave off a sterile tank I am reluctant to run GFO although there is some science that shows it WILL remove it

I wish there was a definative answer to whether polyfilter will remove Sb. Then again I dont want to bottom out NO3 bc it is clear that it will remove NH4.

I was wondering if cuprisorb would likely absorb Sb??? just a random thought but I don't know Cu is a metal and so is Sb. thoughts?

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Will just plain water changes dilute out the antimony?
If your source water is good. (ATI will show) then I would say absolutely. it is a way to immediately drop the high level with a big water change.

fwiw i had thru the roof(30). i was also dealing with Dinos. i did a 30% water change, used poly filter, changed out GAC. and a month later I showed unmeasurable level via icpanalysis.com... also I was running Triton method so I had a BOATLOAD of chaeto growing which I know plants are good at removing some metals. but tough ti say which variable was responsible.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve done a couple of 20% water changes and a 10% since I took the green killing machine out but before the ATI test went out Tuesday. Will be interesting to see what the results are.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back