High Antimony found on Triton ICP

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too late I'm never trusting that thing again. I am also wary of plastics etc.. we dont know for sure what the source is. I'd love to have the extra cash laying around to take three of them. run one in fresh water one in sw and on in sw with a changed pump. pre and post icp tests after running for a month.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just changed out GAC in reactor. got water mixing for a 20% change. and my 1g/day AWC has been running all along. very reluctant to run polyfilter bc I am trying to establish nutrients currently.

have ati test in hand. gonna wait a week and send in. Anyone know if I HAVE to send rodi as the 2nd sample or can I send my AWC water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just changed out GAC in reactor. got water mixing for a 20% change. and my 1g/day AWC has been running all along. very reluctant to run polyfilter bc I am trying to establish nutrients currently.

have ati test in hand. gonna wait a week and send in. Anyone know if I HAVE to send rodi as the 2nd sample or can I send my AWC water?

You mean nitrate and phosphate? Or other metals?

Nitrate and phosphate won't be appreciably depleted using a polyfilter. It won't bind either directly from seawater. It will probably bind some organic matter than contains some N and P, but its not a big effect.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean nitrate and phosphate? Or other metals?

Nitrate and phosphate won't be appreciably depleted using a polyfilter. It won't bind either directly from seawater. It will probably bind some organic matter than contains some N and P, but its not a big effect.
So as of now there is no known way of removing antimony from the tank without a water change? I ask because doing a water change will just make my dinos worse. And ive noticed that removing the UV also makes thek slowly come back too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of now there is no known way of removing antimony from the tank without a water change? I ask because doing a water change will just make my dinos worse. And ive noticed that removing the UV also makes thek slowly come back too.

Products like a polyfilter or metasorb may work. I do not know. I was saying they do not bind nitrate and phosphate.

I wouldn't risk dino problems getting worse just to lower antimony of unknown toxicity.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No my vials were just delivered in Gardena today. Now they make the journey to Germany. So maybe sometime next week? Next time I’ll pay extra for shipping to California. Took over a week to go from Florida to California with the free label.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd try at sps only been on tank for 4 days and i already see some bleaching on all the sps i have, idk if its the antimony or just the dinos ( even though ive kept my phosphates at 0.10) ive put the polyfilter to see if it helps, gonna remove the UV tomorrow. Sucks too because it did help with my dinos a bit.

20200603_204541.jpg 20200603_204546.jpg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for writing this thread. And to all those providing info.

Because of this info, I just checked my propeller on my green killing machine and the rod is beginning to corrode.

This thing is only 2 months old. I can only imagine what it would have looked like and released into my water in another month.

I hate that I have suggested this to others fighting Dino’s. It did work to kill mine, but I had no clue it caused other issues...

2A0639A4-6DA1-47EE-B5C2-75368B3B663B.jpeg
C36CB573-E47D-45DA-844D-466A7713D75B.jpeg

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for writing this thread. And to all those providing info.

Because of this info, I just checked my propeller on my green killing machine and the rod is beginning to corrode.

This thing is only 2 months old. I can only imagine what it would have looked like and released into my water in another month.

I hate that I have suggested this to others fighting Dino’s. It did work to kill mine, but I had no clue it caused other issues...

2A0639A4-6DA1-47EE-B5C2-75368B3B663B.jpeg
C36CB573-E47D-45DA-844D-466A7713D75B.jpeg
Good to know, i plan on having mines 1 more month just because i am clear of dinos but want to make sure they dont coke back.before pulling the plug.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough I just got my ATI ICP results today... elevated Antimony. I get on here and search and this thread pops up.

Who wants to take a stab at guessing what UV I've been running...
Lemme Guess... the 24 watt Green Killing Machine?
How long have you been using it? What does the propeller and rod look like?

I just sent an ICP today and took my GKM out.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People losing their mind about iron and antimony is the reason why ICP testing companies stay in business. It's the red herring everyone uses/accuses and pins all of their tank problems on. How in the world did people ever grow coral in the era of Koralia and maxijets???

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemme Guess... the 24 watt Green Killing Machine?
How long have you been using it? What does the propeller and rod look like?

I just sent an ICP today and took my GKM out.

BINGO, 24W GKM. I ran it for months, but had just recently taken it off. Like the week before I sent in the ICP samples. I haven't looked at the impeller but I'd be surprised if I didn't find some rust or serious wear.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People losing their mind about iron and antimony is the reason why ICP testing companies stay in business. It's the red herring everyone uses/accuses and pins all of their tank problems on. How in the world did people ever grow coral in the era of Koralia and maxijets???

I'm not losing my mind, but I do like to know what causes elevated levels of certain elements. This was my first ICP test and I'm not having issues, but I do like to have a good baseline for if I did have issues in the future. Also I have koralia pumps well over 10 years old, still kicking, and zero rust. ;)

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not losing my mind, but I do like to know what causes elevated levels of certain elements. This was my first ICP test and I'm not having issues, but I do like to have a good baseline for if I did have issues in the future. Also I have koralia pumps well over 10 years old, still kicking, and zero rust. ;)

Good, just constantly repeat the mantra, "Correlation is not causation, Correlation is not causation,..."

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess the question is what problems does high Antimony cause? I was having all kinds of issues with SPS and LPS tissue recession when I sent off my first test with the high result. Was it due to the antimony? No idea. It was only thing outside of normal ranges on my test though.

There just isn’t much info about Antimony in reef aquariums and any search you do leads right back to the same people posting in this thread. But it definitely seems like the green killing machine is a likely suspect for high Antimony levels. So unless someone can show me the benefits of keeping high Antimony levels in a reef tank, then I’d rather get rid of it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%

Back