High Antimony found on Triton ICP

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There definitely seems to be a trend with green killing machine and high levels of antimony, spole to a friend of mines that has also told me he has high level of antimony on his ICP test, i go to his house and ofcourse he is also using the same 24w UV. I guess thats the price we pay for going the cheap route lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information. If my ICP test results come back low in antimony I now know how I might correct the problem.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Broke the green machine out of storage to look at the pump. Here’s the impeller. Not sure why I never checked this previously.

EE33AC75-5794-4EE9-BF95-0185EF49BEB6.jpeg

I guess the question is, how harmful is Antimony in our tanks and what does it do?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broke the green machine out of storage to look at the pump. Here’s the impeller. Not sure why I never checked this previously.

EE33AC75-5794-4EE9-BF95-0185EF49BEB6.jpeg

I guess the question is, how harmful is Antimony in our tanks and what does it do?
Well in my case i have very high levels (over 26 last time i checked) and i cant keep any sps alive for long aswell as some LPS. Idk if the its the dinos or a combination of that.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well in my case i have very high levels (over 26 last time i checked) and i cant keep any sps alive for long aswell as some LPS. Idk if the its the dinos or a combination of that.

My level on my last ICP was 30. I don’t have any dinos. I do have issues with SPS that I can’t explain given my other parameters being great, and my par numbers being where they need to be. I have a lot of problems with SPS dying from the tips down and turning grey. For the most part LPS seem fine, I do have a few that have issues but I’ve got a lot of LPS that are very healthy and growing fast. Zoanthids are completely fine and growing well.

We’ll see what this new ICP test reveals. In the meantime I’m doing even more water changes if the test I sent in this week shows antimony declining from 30 I’ll do a few more 30% water changes, run more fresh carbon and then send in another ICP in a month and see where I’m at.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My level on my last ICP was 30. I don’t have any dinos. I do have issues with SPS that I can’t explain given my other parameters being great, and my par numbers being where they need to be. I have a lot of problems with SPS dying from the tips down and turning grey. For the most part LPS seem fine, I do have a few that have issues but I’ve got a lot of LPS that are very healthy and growing fast. Zoanthids are completely fine and growing well.

We’ll see what this new ICP test reveals. In the meantime I’m doing even more water changes if the test I sent in this week shows antimony declining from 30 I’ll do a few more 30% water changes, run more fresh carbon and then send in another ICP in a month and see where I’m at.
Sounds like a good plan keep us posted

Naboria79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took the uv down, planning to.do a water change tomorrow and take samples for icp test.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Son of B....

So that’s the culprit!! I went back and looked through my logs:

June 2019 ATI ICP test- No Antimony detected.

November 25, 2019- added 24watt Green Killing Machine to display

December 26,2019 sent another ATI ICP and it indicated Antimony of 24.87!

I need to send another since I removed it months ago.
Good to see mounting evidence for this...I was really stumped!

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Son of B....

So that’s the culprit!! I went back and looked through my logs:

June 2019 ATI ICP test- No Antimony detected.

November 25, 2019- added 24watt Green Killing Machine to display

December 26,2019 sent another ATI ICP and it indicated Antimony of 24.87!

I need to send another since I removed it months ago.
Good to see mounting evidence for this...I was really stumped!
Yea i checked all over my tank and could have never imagine it being this lol

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Salt water heated spray test" and being under saltwater for long periods of time are totally different things from what it seems. Crazy how good saltwater is at corroding stufff

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Salt water heated spray test" and being under saltwater for long periods of time are totally different things from what it seems. Crazy how good saltwater is at corroding stufff

That is why a few times a year I am a firm believer in taking equpment apart and inspecting it. All pumps, and heaters, looking at probes. If it's electrical, mechanical, and has moving parts, take it apart and look at it. At least every few months.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sucks that this thing has this issue because otherwise it’s a great little UV. It helped me beat dinos in my last tank. Definitely won’t be putting it back in my tank now though.

OP
OP
trmiv

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking about trying to rig up some other pump to the UV bulb.

I’m suspicious of the whole thing. My Triton results told me to look at some plastics as possible sources. If you search around online for Antimony and plastic you’ll see a lot of stuff about some plastics leaching antimony. So it may not be the tiny metal shaft at all.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back