High Calcium/ Hanna Checker advice

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been checking my calcium for the past 6 months with a Hanna Checker. It has been registering very high every time. Thinking it might be abad batch of reagent, I bought another batch. The readings are still high. This whole time I have been getting readings between 550 and 600. I think 600 is as high as it will go, so it could have been registering even higher. I have not added any calcium because of this. Over the past few days I have been reading other posts on how unreliable this check is. I really need to add my Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium for the trace elements, but am afraid to. I don't have another calcium test at this time. Do you think it would hurt my tank to go ahead and add the TMBC?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna checker but the only test I've compared it to is API. I get exactly the same numbers with both.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using instant ocean reef crystals salt? The levels in that mix are off the charts. If your using salt with high calcium + dosing cal for your trace elements that could be why.

OP
OP
Connie

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what salt I'm using, so that could be it! Thank you for the info. What is a better salt I could switch to? I don't want to stop using the Tropic Marin.
Are you using instant ocean reef crystals salt? The levels in that mix are off the charts. If your using salt with high calcium + dosing cal for your trace elements that could be why.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what salt I'm using, so that could be it! Thank you for the info. What is a better salt I could switch to? I don't want to stop using the Tropic Marin.

I would try ESV

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use red sea coral pro salt. great salt, stable levels, dissolves quickly. no residue like from reef crystals. also, i bought a hannah checker and was not getting very good readings, either really high or really low. its just impossible to keep particulate matter out of the sample ( dissolved solids in aquarium water), even when cleaning the tube with rubbing alcohol and ro water. i use the salifert test kit for measuring calc with much more accurate tests, hovering around 430ppm. the alkalinity and phosphate hannah checkers work really well though. i just think its a crap shoot with the calcium one.

Back