Rating - 100%
9   0   0
20 panels got one person 930kwh in a month, for 16k

Well, what do I need ?

3x20 = 2,700 kWh which would get most months covered

16k x 3 = $48,000

Current avg elec bill is around $250

48,000 / 250 = 16 years of electric bills

So I can pay the electric company or I can pay the solar company. I maybe oversimplifying but I don’t see the difference.

You're not wrong but just off.

So I'm in your territory with usage, in NYC, the 2700 kWh month before last would have cost you upwards of !$1000!, I know because I was at $700 bucks with 2200kWh @ $.36 per + taxes and fees.

Re-do your math and the system of his size should pay for itself in 5-6 years...with values from my neck of woods.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 panels got one person 930kwh in a month, for 16k

Well, what do I need ?

3x20 panels = 2,700 kWh which would get most months covered

16k x 3 = $48,000

Current avg elec bill is around $250

48,000 / 250 = 16 years of electric bills

So I can pay the electric company or I can pay the solar company. I maybe oversimplifying but I don’t see the difference.

AF0B3A53-E7A6-492C-B2F4-2EEC3FD47941.jpeg
What’s your rate per kHW?

Mine just went up in lower NY to $0.30/kHw.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 39 panels installed in 2019. I think the average return on investment is ~7 years for solar. So I have a couple more years before I actually see the benefits on the heavy upfront solar investment. This is my forever home, so I was willing to shoulder that huge cost.

Electric company keeps changing the TOU (time of use) plans and increasing "transmission" cost to screw the solar folks, and the only way to stay ahead is to install batteries so it is more direct from panel to house to avoid transmission costs and using battery during peak hours instead of drawing from the grid.

With the EV mandates, crypto mining, and AI revolution...unfortunately, I only see electricity demand and costs going higher.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 39 panels installed in 2019. I think the average return on investment is ~7 years for solar. So I have a couple more years before I actually see the benefits on the heavy upfront solar investment. This is my forever home, so I was willing to shoulder that huge cost.

Electric company keeps changing the TOU (time of use) plans and increasing "transmission" cost to screw the solar folks, and the only way to stay ahead is to install batteries so it is more direct from panel to house to avoid transmission costs and using battery during peak hours instead of drawing from the grid.

With the EV mandates, crypto mining, and AI revolution...unfortunately, I only see electricity demand and costs going higher.
Which batteries did you install and how did you size them?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not wrong but just off.

So I'm in your territory with usage, in NYC, the 2700 kWh month before last would have cost you upwards of !$1000!, I know because I was at $700 bucks with 2200kWh @ $.36 per + taxes and fees.

Re-do your math and the system of his size should pay for itself in 5-6 years...with values from my neck of woods.

I’m not wrong or off. At least I don’t think I am. In my area, electric is priced very well

This is the highest bill I can access from my billing history
A690CCDF-7833-4D87-9DD8-BE8DE825A8AC.jpeg

This is more of an average bill
4F3EAAB6-E568-4A13-855C-1F40F6A747C9.jpeg

I can’t find anywhere on the bill or in my account that tells me the kwh charge and any fees

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which batteries did you install and how did you size them?
The batteries really didn't make any financial sense as the return on investment was very small. So initially, I didn't install batteries when I installed the panels in 2019.

But as NEM 3 and other TOU plans were rolling out, I can see the writing on the wall for solar alone. I had some savings after pandemic, so I had 2x Powerwall 2's installed in 2022. I justified it as a nice backup for the tank in case of rolling blackouts, which seem to happen every hot summer in So Cal. But it was basically a splurge, I will not see much money back. I based the sizing on what I mainly needed to cover the peak hours exponential rates and enough to cover the tank usage for a few days, keep the fridge running, etc.

Our house was the only house that had power when a transformer blew, and power was out for 3-4 hours. We had no idea until the neighbors told us weeks later. LOL.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly was embarrassed I couldn’t figure this out and give a straight answer. I posted the link because I have no clue how my bill is calculated. But the end result I’m happy with
Is this pricing matrix incentive for people to get off the grid?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around €0 a month. Using 48 solar panels and battery storage.
Yep, like I said above my cost to run the house is pretty much zero.

We have 60 panels and 40kWh of battery.

It really takes a week of overcast before we draw significantly from the grid, and when that happens we charge the batteries at night for cheap from the grid, and discharge during the day to run the house.

If you're gonna do it you need to size it properly.
We installed in 2019 and the system paid for itself by 2022.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, like I said above my cost to run the house is pretty much zero.

We have 60 panels and 40kWh of battery.

It really takes a week of overcast before we draw significantly from the grid, and when that happens we charge the batteries at night for cheap from the grid, and discharge during the day to run the house.

If you're gonna do it you need to size it properly.
We installed in 2019 and the system paid for itself by 2022.
What batteries did you get???

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But as NEM 3 and other TOU plans were rolling out, I can see the writing on the wall for solar alone. I had some savings after pandemic, so I had 2x Powerwall 2's installed in 2022. I justified it as a nice backup for the tank in case of rolling blackouts, which seem to happen every hot summer in So Cal. But it was basically a splurge, I will not see much money back
This is very well said, and is the case here in California.

I am on the Central Coast in California. We recently had some solar quotes done, The cheap one was $35,000 which was 18 panels in two 5 kW h batteries.

My electric bill is roughly 400 bucks a month. Where I to pull the trigger on that I would be paying $35,000 to have the system bought and paid for. If I had to take out a loan for that. Right now you're looking at at least 6% at 10 years. A 35k loan will end up costing 46,628.
If they will let you borrow $35,000. Lots of times it is cheaper to take out a much larger loan and then pay back the difference, for a slightly better rate.
So if I were to do that I would be paying roughly 400 bucks a month to the the loan instead of the power company.
However, this system doesn't get you down to absolute zero. And now PG&e is adding a flat fee to the bill just to be hooked up to the power lines which we all get to see next month. By the way, that wasn't voted on by the power commission.

NEM 3 means any additional power that I've made that doesn't go to the batteries goes back to the grid at probably about 1 or 2 cents.

We'll see how it goes here. I am fortunate enough that I am capable of installing my own system, getting the price down to about $15,000 buying everything online through a company that helps you submit your permits. The installation manager at my company has done four solar systems now, so should I go this route? He will help me. But most people don't have that ability.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back