High flow submersible return pump?

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently using an EcoTech Vectra L2 on my 225g, I have it plumbed to run into a closet behind the tank where I have various media reactors before it goes into the tank, I figured 3000GPH would be enough to run at least 2 reactors and still have decent flow, but it appears that I can only run one GFO reactor from that return line before seriously affecting the flow into the tank. So I'm looking to replace my Vectra with something a bit stronger (4k-5k GPH), but it appears I'm at the maximum capacity for submersible pumps made for reefing, if I want a higher flow rate then I'll have to either switch to an external pump, or research pond pumps to find one that can handle salt water.

So my question is do you guys have any recommendations on submersible pumps that can do 4K+ GPH?

I'm willing to drill my sump and go with an external if I have to, but I'd rather exhaust all my options for a submersible before I go thru all the trouble of draining and drilling my sump, rerouting plumbing, etc.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few options out there but all of them far exceed the cost of installing an external pump. Abyzz and Red Dragon would be your best bet with Red Dragon offering pressure rated pumps that might be a better fit for your situation. Have you ever thought of running your reactors off a separate pump than your return? You could keep the L2 and just hook up even another L2 to your reactors. Although you might be better off using something other than a Vectra pump for feeding reactors in general.

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few options out there but all of them far exceed the cost of installing an external pump. Abyzz and Red Dragon would be your best bet with Red Dragon offering pressure rated pumps that might be a better fit for your situation. Have you every thought of running your reactors off a separate pump than your return? You could keep the L2 and just hook up even another L2 to your reactors.

Holy crap, you're right on the price of those things!!

I currently have my 2nd reactor running off its own independent pump in the reactor sump, so a method like that will work fine, but I initially designed the system to be energy efficient and only use one pump, so I was looking to see if I could upgrade the return pump to go back to using that initial design.

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into the same problem with my RSR 650 pen. I am thinking of running an AC pump for my return and a Neptune cor 20 for my reactors / UV.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap, you're right on the price of those things!!

I currently have my 2nd reactor running off its own independent pump in the reactor sump, so a method like that will work fine, but I initially designed the system to be energy efficient and only use one pump, so I was looking to see if I could upgrade the return pump to go back to using that initial design.

Well this is absolutely achievable but like I said it might cost you $$$$. Btw two DC pumps throttled back might be just as efficient or close to it as one big one...

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my existing setup has my return pump feeding into the back closet with 3 T junctions+shut off valves, and then it continues on to the tank, meanwhile the drain for the reactor sump gravity feeds back into the main sump.

I've considered what you're suggesting before, having Return pump 1 feeding from my main sump into the reactor sump and then having return pump 2 feed into the tank, my biggest fear is that after a power outage return pump 2 doesn't come back online and pump 1 continues to feed the reactor sump till it overflows. I'm guessing I could setup some sort of overflow sensor or even setup a function in Apex to make sure pump 2 is on before pump 1 turns on.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my existing setup has my return pump feeding into the back closet with 3 T junctions+shut off valves, and then it continues on to the tank, meanwhile the drain for the reactor sump gravity feeds back into the main sump.

I've considered what you're suggesting before, having Return pump 1 feeding from my main sump into the reactor sump and then having return pump 2 feed into the tank, my biggest fear is that after a power outage return pump 2 doesn't come back online and pump 1 continues to feed the reactor sump till it overflows. I'm guessing I could setup some sort of overflow sensor or even setup a function in Apex to make sure pump 2 is on before pump 1 turns on.

Not exactly what I was suggesting lol I was suggesting one pump running from your sump right to the DT for your return and pump #2 running from your main sump, through the closet to your reactors then from your reactor sump gravity fed back into the sump...

OP
OP
AlexReef100

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly what I was suggesting lol I was suggesting one pump running from your sump right to the DT for your return and pump #2 running from your main sump, through the closet to your reactors then from your reactor sump gravity fed back into the sump...

Ahh ok, I see what you're saying. So just double up on the return pumps in the main sump, I'll have to look into how difficult it would be to readjust my plumbing for that sort of setup. Thanks!!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok, I see what you're saying. So just double up on the return pumps in the main sump, I'll have to look into how difficult it would be to readjust my plumbing for that sort of setup. Thanks!!

Adding a second L2 would also have the benefit of a built in backup. Return dies? Swap the reactor pump in for a few days.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently using an EcoTech Vectra L2 on my 225g, I have it plumbed to run into a closet behind the tank where I have various media reactors before it goes into the tank, I figured 3000GPH would be enough to run at least 2 reactors and still have decent flow, but it appears that I can only run one GFO reactor from that return line before seriously affecting the flow into the tank. So I'm looking to replace my Vectra with something a bit stronger (4k-5k GPH), but it appears I'm at the maximum capacity for submersible pumps made for reefing, if I want a higher flow rate then I'll have to either switch to an external pump, or research pond pumps to find one that can handle salt water.

So my question is do you guys have any recommendations on submersible pumps that can do 4K+ GPH?

I'm willing to drill my sump and go with an external if I have to, but I'd rather exhaust all my options for a submersible before I go thru all the trouble of draining and drilling my sump, rerouting plumbing, etc.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Try a laguna 2900 or Fluval SP6. I know the wattage on them is similar or a little less than the vectra at max, but the amperage they pull from being a low power factor reluctance motor means they have a bit more grunt than you'd expect for a pump in the low 100ish watt range. Also you'll likely be pulling right around or even less than 100watts if you're running reactors and a main tank return. On paper an L2 should be as good or better but on many occasions I've swapped these pumps in for clients who previously had vectras, and they were shocked when a fluval or laguna started cranking with quite a bit more actual flow. They're pretty bulky, but they are fully submersible and won't cost an arm and a leg like some of the really stout DC options like the abyzz or red dragon. Best of luck!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back