High Lithium in ICP results

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy Holmes-Farley, my ICP results just came back with everything pretty much on track except for a high lithium level.
The results showed 710 ug/l. Is this a dangerous level and what would be the harm at this level?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it is not dangerous, and may be from your salt mix.

Here's my comment on my own result of about 350 ug/L:

Lithium (Li). The lithium is elevated, and that is probably from the salt mix. A great many people have elevated lithium, and I’ve seen some fresh artificial salt water samples that also had it. It is probably an impurity in one of the main ingredients of a salt mix, but it can also come from calcium and alkalinity additives, such as calcium chloride. At this level it does not concern me. It’s biological properties (such as a medication in people) seem to happen at much higher levels, and in many ways it is chemically similar to sodium that is present at 30,000 times higher concentration.

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it is not dangerous, and may be from your salt mix.

Here's my comment on my own result of about 350 ug/L:

Lithium (Li). The lithium is elevated, and that is probably from the salt mix. A great many people have elevated lithium, and I’ve seen some fresh artificial salt water samples that also had it. It is probably an impurity in one of the main ingredients of a salt mix, but it can also come from calcium and alkalinity additives, such as calcium chloride. At this level it does not concern me. It’s biological properties (such as a medication in people) seem to happen at much higher levels, and in many ways it is chemically similar to sodium that is present at 30,000 times higher concentration.
Thank you, I had read the evaluation of your results. But I didn’t know if 710 passed a dangerous threshold. I am happy to know I am good with where it is.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I had read the evaluation of your results. But I didn’t know if 710 passed a dangerous threshold. I am happy to know I am good with where it is.

I've seen quite a few in the low thousands without apparent symptoms in the tank.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, at least one recent batch of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals has a lithium level of around 900, as mixed to salinity 34.5, and as measured by 2 separate samples analyzed by Triton Labs.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my ICP results and also had elevated lithium and use reef crystals

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lithium level is off the chart. I'll have to mix a batch of Reef Crystals and send a sample to ICP.

Off the chart is not very meaningful. What level? Lithium is low toxicity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO Reef Crystals
4,000 is off every chart. Am I correct that it's not metabolized by anything in the tank?

It is high, but not all icp companies are reliable, and I do not know if it is toxic at that level or not.

I would not assume it is accurate, and RC is not a typical source at that level.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Triton for several years with similar results. I've ordered another test kit from ICP Analysis. Let's hope Triton is greatly mistaken.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used Triton for several years with similar results. I've ordered another test kit from ICP Analysis. Let's hope Triton is greatly mistaken.

ICP Analysis is probably the worst in the business. Oceamo or ATI are the only two worth trying

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any reviews online indicating that. Where did that assessment come from?

Yes, there is data on that from several sources (IMO) that have threads here.. I would look elsewhere for a backup test.

I’m not denying the 4 ppm is possible, and Triton is likely ok is that is what you used, but there is plenty of incorrect icp data around.

There are also far too many users of RC getting icp and not seeing those levels to think RC is a likely source.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll switch to see what happens. I requested to cancel the other order and have ATI in my basket.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back