High Lithium in ICP results

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed a batch of Reef Crystals and sent a sample to Triton. I got the results today. I used IO and RO well water. I didn't add any other substances. Look at the lithium level!
@Randy Holmes-Farley, who will test well water for lithium?
1705952996064.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lithium at 374 ug/mL (0.4 ppm) does not seem to me to be an issue. It's a bit over twice the level in natural seawater and would not concern me.

This is from testing my tank water, which was nearly the same as yours (353 ug/L):

Lithium (Li). The lithium is elevated, and that is probably from the salt mix. A great many people have elevated lithium, and I’ve seen some fresh artificial salt water samples that also had it. It is probably an impurity in one of the main ingredients of a salt mix, but it can also come from calcium and alkalinity additives, such as calcium chloride. At this level it does not concern me. It’s biological properties (such as a medication in people) seem to happen at much higher levels, and in many ways it is chemically similar to sodium that is present at 30,000 times higher concentration.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lithium at 374 ug/mL (0.4 ppm) does not seem to me to be an issue. It's a bit over twice the level in natural seawater and would not concern me.

This is from testing my tank water, which was nearly the same as yours (353 ug/L):

Lithium (Li). The lithium is elevated, and that is probably from the salt mix. A great many people have elevated lithium, and I’ve seen some fresh artificial salt water samples that also had it. It is probably an impurity in one of the main ingredients of a salt mix, but it can also come from calcium and alkalinity additives, such as calcium chloride. At this level it does not concern me. It’s biological properties (such as a medication in people) seem to happen at much higher levels, and in many ways it is chemically similar to sodium that is present at 30,000 times higher concentration.
I mixed a batch to see if the RC had elevated lithium level that would have contributed to my high tank level. My Li was 3200 in Dec 2022, and 4000 in Dec 2023. Definitely a progression.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed a batch to see if the RC had elevated lithium level that would have contributed to my high tank level. My Li was 3200 in Dec 2022, and 4000 in Dec 2023. Definitely a progression.

Presumably it is a different source then.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem likely, because I use RO for my well water. The local water testing company doesn't have any knowledge of Li in the aquifer, but I'm sending a sample for testing.

I’m confused why you think the data say it is your well water. It may be, but the data for the new salt water is not unusual.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RC made with zero lithium water shows essentially the same level:

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RC made with zero lithium water shows essentially the same level:

Thanks for the link. I haven't been here 2 months yet, so I haven't had the chance to review much yet.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reviewed a BRS video in which they showed a chart where lithium was extremely high in some calcium chloride products, namely Brightwell and Prestone. I also saw that one source of Mag chloride (SafeStep) also has massive levels of lithium.

@Randy-holmes-farley Ryan Batchelor mentioned that Dow Flake has been reformulated, and he no longer uses it. Have you checked it out since then?

Here's the video that references the lithium sources.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reviewed a BRS video in which they showed a chart where lithium was extremely high in some calcium chloride products, namely Brightwell and Prestone. I also saw that one source of Mag chloride (SafeStep) also has massive levels of lithium.

@Randy-holmes-farley Ryan Batchelor mentioned that Dow Flake has been reformulated, and he no longer uses it. Have you checked it out since then?

Here's the video that references the lithium sources.

Dowflake was reformulated a number of years ago, leaving more bromide in it. Dow announced that publicly. I have some articles and/or threads showing that is OK as long as one continues with normal water changes. I'm not sure what else may have gone along with that bromide change, but I have not retested it, nor have I seen evidence that lithium is a problem for folks. :)

Remember, BRS wants to sell things like their calcium chloride. It's likely a fine product and I have used it, but just showing an elevated impurity in a competing product without showing evidence of harm from that impurity is only part of the whole story.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, BRS wants to sell things like their calcium chloride. It's likely a fine product and I have used it, but just showing an elevated impurity in a competing product without showing evidence of harm from that impurity is only part of the whole story.
I totally agree and understand. As much as I'm able to learn from the BRS videos, I always remember that he's selling product, but I'm also picking up on the "do not use" themes. I'm in the middle of Alaska, so everything's mail ordered. I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck, so if you have recommendations for low-contaminant bulk Ca, please share.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back