High Magnesium Question

Jeremy Lain

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2018
Messages
385
Reaction score
96
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My magnesium is at 1395 and calcium 420 and 9.6 dkh. I know that magnesium level is high.

Since calcium and alkalinity are attracted to each other to cause calcification and magnesium is to balance out the process of that, can that high of magnesium cause calcification to be slower?
 
I would say that level is not too high at all. I have seen people run much higher around 1500. More important is if Magnesium is to low, but too high is seldom an issue.

Here is a good article by Randy Holmes-Farley (you may have seen).
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php#21
 
I would say that level is not too high at all. I have seen people run much higher around 1500. More important is if Magnesium is to low, but too high is seldom an issue.

Here is a good article by Randy Holmes-Farley (you may have seen).
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php#21

I read the article and:
2018-11-19 11.12.05.png

This is the part that I dont understand, where it says the magnesium has gotten in the way and doesn't allow ot to happen(or keeps it from happening as fast). Would that mean to much magnesium in the water could stop calcification or slow it because magnesium gets in the way of calcium and alkalinity going together?

If its above the suggested 1250-1350 ppm parameter?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new