High nitrates after tank upgrade

Leeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have been having crazy high nitrates recently. Last year i transferred all my sand , equipment, lighting, filtration from my 90 gallon system that was over 9 years old to a 180 reef ready 24 x 24 x 72 aquarium. My equipment is a trigger systems 39 roller fleece sump a recirculating deltec skimmer 2 800 watt titanium heaters a lifegard 55 watt uv sterilizer a cor 20 return pump 4 stage rodi and a apex with trident and other automation equipment. During the swap over i filled the tank with 90 pounds of marco rock and did a fishless cycle everything went smoothly with the cycle i took my time because i still had all my fish in the old aquarium i double checked the cycle was done using ammonia and it all tested good. I drained 80 gallons of water and transferred 60 pounds of my old rock from my old tank and the water and fish. Fast forward 8 months and i noticed a spike in nitrate so high it maxed out my api test kit phosphate is .25 i have tried gfo vodka dosing 50% water changes it goes right back up what is the deal?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Doublecheck your test.
2. Change water

OP
OP
L

Leeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have since done 5 50% water changes and took my water to my local pet store and i purchased another brand test kit and even tried test strips all show over 160?

OP
OP
L

Leeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention i purchased 5 bags of new sand i only used 5 gallons of my old sand only to hopefully seed the new tank could 5 gallons of sand really do all that? It wasn't off the bottom of the old tank i skimmed the top 1/2" to use

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention i purchased 5 bags of new sand i only used 5 gallons of my old sand only to hopefully seed the new tank could 5 gallons of sand really do all that? It wasn't off the bottom of the old tank i skimmed the top 1/2" to use
Assuming it wasn't a testing error, yes - it can certainly be a contributing factor.

OP
OP
L

Leeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on doing a test with new water in 3 buckets 1 with a piece of marco rock 1 with my old rock and 1 with some sand and see if nitrate rises in just 1 of them to narrow it down. My rodi i have tested along with my mixed saltwater after 24 hours that also came up with nothing.is it worth me doing this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is not humanly possibly unless you have a huge ammonia load - producing nitrite producing Nitrate - or something in your tank contains a lot of nitrate thats leaching out

OP
OP
L

Leeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut down on feeding to 1 time a day i feed tdo and algae sheets i have 3 tangs 5 chromas 1 blue devil 1 watchman goby with a pistol shrimp 2 Anthias 1 sand sifting goby and a pencil urchin some bumblebee snails and other snails. I would love to feed them more i feel soo bad but i am worried about the nitrates killing my fish.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut down on feeding to 1 time a day i feed tdo and algae sheets i have 3 tangs 5 chromas 1 blue devil 1 watchman goby with a pistol shrimp 2 Anthias 1 sand sifting goby and a pencil urchin some bumblebee snails and other snails. I would love to feed them more i feel soo bad but i am worried about the nitrates killing my fish.
Reliable test kit - first rule out testing error. This will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have been having crazy high nitrates recently. Last year i transferred all my sand , equipment, lighting, filtration from my 90 gallon system that was over 9 years old to a 180 reef ready 24 x 24 x 72 aquarium. My equipment is a trigger systems 39 roller fleece sump a recirculating deltec skimmer 2 800 watt titanium heaters a lifegard 55 watt uv sterilizer a cor 20 return pump 4 stage rodi and a apex with trident and other automation equipment. During the swap over i filled the tank with 90 pounds of marco rock and did a fishless cycle everything went smoothly with the cycle i took my time because i still had all my fish in the old aquarium i double checked the cycle was done using ammonia and it all tested good. I drained 80 gallons of water and transferred 60 pounds of my old rock from my old tank and the water and fish. Fast forward 8 months and i noticed a spike in nitrate so high it maxed out my api test kit phosphate is .25 i have tried gfo vodka dosing 50% water changes it goes right back up what is the deal?
I can only say somewhere in your system you have a nice biological filter and it has food.

Probably happens !

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked through this thread

Sounds like it could have been the sand, very interested in the outcome as i am doing a similar move soon!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on doing a test with new water in 3 buckets 1 with a piece of marco rock 1 with my old rock and 1 with some sand and see if nitrate rises in just 1 of them to narrow it down. My rodi i have tested along with my mixed saltwater after 24 hours that also came up with nothing.is it worth me doing this?
Sounds like you've got an old nitrite test kit knocking around? Just to make sure its not fiddling with your nitrate kit. But why you would have nitrite after this amount of time, Lord knows.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After eight months, I would not point a finger at the sand. The whole system that the water touches is a biological filter.

I would wash all filter material, socks, etc,. in tap water. Wash / remove all rubble in a sump, and even clean the piping if it comes to that.

What do you have in the system to help remove nitrates ?

Probably happens !

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Leeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger systems rollermat sump i have turned it almost all the way down to remove as much waste as possible and not keep it in the tank and i have tried carbon dosing vodka to lower it and water changes and cleaning my sump and vacuuming the sand. I have a new bag of npx bio pellets but i have not tried them yet in fear of making all this worse. What other ways are there?

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger systems rollermat sump i have turned it almost all the way down to remove as much waste as possible and not keep it in the tank and i have tried carbon dosing vodka to lower it and water changes and cleaning my sump and vacuuming the sand. I have a new bag of npx bio pellets but i have not tried them yet in fear of making all this worse. What other ways are there?
Nothing quick but nitrate pads that I know of. Macro-Algae, clean ceramic media in the sump, and what you are already doing, feeding less and vodka dosing, roller, and skimming ( which also helps remove the bacteria you are growing ).

Probably happens !

OP
OP
L

Leeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the switch over of the tanks i had put my chaetomorpha in a brute trash can that i was cooking rock in but it didn't last long and i have to abandon it now i am just afraid of getting any other problems aka hitchhikers or ich or something from whatever supplier and add to all the mess i am in.. do the pads work?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back