High nitrates

Maria Azzopardi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Apart from daily water changes is there something that can be used to lower NO3s? I also dose 12ml nopox daily. Thanks in advance.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can increase the levels of biological filtration in the system, by using media such as Seachem Matrix, De Nitrate, Marine Pure Blocks etc.

Once established the bacteria will reduce nitrates for you and it’s just a matter of balancing how much you need. You can’t really have to much because it’s self regulating so get more than you think you will need

I use a combination of massive amounts of biological filtration, and Nopox infact I’m currently at double the recommended dose! But I like fish you see.....

And welcome to R2R as well!

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can increase the levels of biological filtration in the system, by using media such as Seachem Matrix, De Nitrate, Marine Pure Blocks etc.

Once established the bacteria will reduce nitrates for you and it’s just a matter of balancing how much you need. You can’t really have to much because it’s self regulating so get more than you think you will need

I use a combination of massive amounts of biological filtration, and Nopox infact I’m currently at double the recommended dose! But I like fish you see.....

And welcome to R2R as well!
I have a canister filter, would it be OK to fill it up with seachem matrix?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use double the recommended dose of Nopox? Mine is a mixed reef tank. Would it affect corals?

Dont do what i do unless your very experienced with Nopox so no I wouldn’t recommend this at all. Keep to the recommended doses.

Its potentially very powerful so you need to go very slow with Nopox and monitor your system as it adapts to increased amounts

If you increase maybe go 1ml/day extra every week and see how it adapts and keep and eye out for white slime and then back off a little

Last edited:

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canister filter, would it be OK to fill it up with seachem matrix?

Basically and ideally you want slow flow to encourage anaerobic denitrification which you can read up on.

I’m not familiar with canister filters as I’ve never used them but if its slow flow yes

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For carbon dosing to be effective, you need to be skimming wet (color of a weak black tea). How large is your tank? How high do you consider high nitrate?

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically and ideally you want slow flow to encourage anaerobic denitrification which you can read up on.

I’m not familiar with canister filters as I’ve never used them but if its slow flow yes
Ok thanks a lot :) I can regulate the flow with a valve so it shouldn't be a problem. Or maybe better would be biopellets

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What issues are you seeing?

Personally I would avoid chemicals to chase a number (nitrates).

As others ask how high are they? Are you using rodi water? Have you checked your freshly mixed saltwater for nitrates?

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, what are your params?

Second, you’re likely seeing elevated nitrates because of the canister filter. You don’t need one on a saltwater tank. Ditch it.

The best way to reduce nitrates is to do water changes.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the advice you've been given here in the thread. But how do you know your Nitrates (NO3) are high? Is it based on a water test or other visual cues you see when looking at the tank?

I am not 100% certain, but I think (someone please correct me if I am wrong) a side effect of using Nopox is a reduction in Oxygen (O2) levels.

Are you running a sump, hang on back or canister filter?

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled nitrates for almost a year. Cheato wouldnt even help in my case. I ended up getting a biopellet reactor and after the required start up time my nitrates are now under control.

Well they were until i tore the tank down to upgrade to a 75 gal.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many have said, biological filtration should be the go-to choice when it comes to sustained control. Water changes work, but it's constant work. Whether a fuge or bacterial, getting some bio entity to use the nitrates is always best, if you're able.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use double the recommended dose of Nopox? Mine is a mixed reef tank. Would it affect corals?

You can adjust the dose of NoPoX based on your levels but you should do so with caution. Zero nitrates is much worse than elevated levels for your tank. As noted above, what are your levels and what are you seeing that makes you concerned. Don't chase numbers, there are some amazing reef tanks with nitrate levels that are significantly higher than what we normal think of as being ok.

I agree with the advice you've been given here in the thread. But how do you know your Nitrates (NO3) are high? Is it based on a water test or other visual cues you see when looking at the tank?

I am not 100% certain, but I think (someone please correct me if I am wrong) a side effect of using Nopox is a reduction in Oxygen (O2) levels.

Are you running a sump, hang on back or canister filter?

Because carbon dosing encourages bacterial growth it can lead to a bacterial bloom that could lower O2 levels. Most tanks should have enough air exchange to prevent this with a skimmer and powerheads/returns that ripple the surface.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Apart from daily water changes is there something that can be used to lower NO3s? I also dose 12ml nopox daily. Thanks in advance.

First, what are your NO3 levels? The next question to ask is what is your PO4 level? Without PO4, nitrate reducers such as NoPoX and chaeto are ineffective. The last question is what are you using to control PO4?

And,

Welcome to R2R! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back