Help…NP Bacto Balance wrong dosage

chariton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello yesterday after the tests I run in my aquarium I decided to run NP Bacto Blance to lower phosphates (0.61) and nitrates (50)
But I read something wrong and I started dosing for my 600litre reef tank 6ml instead of 1.5ml that I had to. This morning my tank was a bit cloudy. I did a water change of 50 litres I changed the carbon and anti phosphate and because I didn’t read correctly I add more 6ml overal 12ml in 2 days instead of 3ml!!my uv is working my skimmer is working Clarisea is working fine. What’s next?I run NO3 test and KH test and the parameters was not changed

Tank Parameters
10/02/2024
Magnesium 1350
KH 8.2
Calcium 350
NO3 50
Phosphorus 200
Phosphate 0.61

Any help appreciated!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the tank is well oxygenated and let the bacterial bloom run its course. Low oxygen is the greatest danger. Make sure you have good surface agitation and possibly add some air stones if you have them. I doubt it will drop your 50 ppm of NO3 and even less so the 0.6 ppm phosphate on a single dose, even when overdosed.

OP
OP
C

chariton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ll add extra oxygen to my tank!thank you. I

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 59

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like a bad bloom and the fish stocking does not look to be very high. I have experienced much worse cloudiness without any fish deaths. You should be fine but watch the breathing behavior of your larger fish.

OP
OP
C

chariton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebrasoma Veliferum is undefeated fish. Survived from velevet, survived 2 days with no oxygen 2 times within 2 weeks due to floods here in my town. and finally survived from Ammonia after moving to new tank. Every other fish died!it will be shame to lose it from bacteria bloom!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using the wrong product, your nutrients are too high for bacto you need to use the stronger Elimi NP.
Agreed. Everything I've read is you need to get NO3 and PO4 where you want them then start the bacto balance.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using the wrong product, your nutrients are too high for bacto you need to use the stronger Elimi NP.
Not necessarily using the "wrong" product, just not the most effective one. Although with the dosage you used you helped with the effectiveness. Obviously with the resulting bacteria bloom. I do agree using Elimi-NP is a better option. Take a look at your foods that you feed for any sources of Phosphates.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily using the "wrong" product, just not the most effective one. Although with the dosage you used you helped with the effectiveness. Obviously with the resulting bacteria bloom. I do agree using Elimi-NP is a better option. Take a look at your foods that you feed for any sources of Phosphates.
Playing semantics there…the manufacturer states themselves that if your nutrients are higher than 0.1 for po4 to use Elimi, if you are not using Elimi when po4 is above 0.1 you are using the wrong product.

Bacto adds po4 and nitrates which is not what you want to be doing if trying to lower your nutrients.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacto adds po4 and nitrates which is not what you want to be doing if trying to lower your nutrients.
Not true based off of what I have read and experienced. I'm not qualified to argue chemistry so I wont do that. I do dose BB to one tank and have to also dose PO4 and NO3 on occasion. I do not use TM products to raise those. This is a description of BB I found. Its more like carbon dosing I believe.

NP-BACTO-BALANCE acts to increase the incorporation of nitrates and phosphates in additional biomass, reducing nitrate and phosphate concentrations in the water while improving coloration and growth of corals, sponges and other filter feeders.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true based off of what I have read and experienced. I'm not qualified to argue chemistry so I wont do that. I do dose BB to one tank and have to also dose PO4 and NO3 on occasion. I do not use TM products to raise those. This is a description of BB I found. Its more like carbon dosing I believe.

NP-BACTO-BALANCE acts to increase the incorporation of nitrates and phosphates in additional biomass, reducing nitrate and phosphate concentrations in the water while improving coloration and growth of corals, sponges and other filter feeders.
Bacto balance adds a small amount of N and P to prevent bottoming out and for the carbon to have something to consume (if there were an imbalance). Elim NP is essentially a higher concentration Bacto Balance with no extra N and P.

If your having to add N and P, while using balance, you may need to dial back the dose

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacto balance adds a small amount of N and P to prevent bottoming out and for the carbon to have something to consume. Elim NP is essentially a higher concentration Bacto Balance with no extra N and P
Interesting because that is not how it works in my system. I've been dosing it for almost a year. Took skimmer offline months ago and and started manually advancing my fleece roller. I feed heavily 3-4 times a day using frozen & pellets and reef roids several times a week and I have to add NO3 and PO4.
I wonder if @Hans-Werner or @Randy Holmes-Farley can clarify this?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…the manufacturer states themselves that if your nutrients are higher than 0.1 for po4 to use Elimi, if you are not using Elimi when po4 is above 0.1 you are using the wrong product....
I think they should also state something to the effect of:

"If your PO4 is in the range you want and stable then use NP-Bacto-Balance. If your PO4 is above the range you want then use Elimi-NP. If your PO4 is below the range you want then use Plus-NP."

The ranges of PO4 they give is just what they specify as ideal for a reef tank.

If my PO4 is stable at 0.2PPM, my tank is doing well and I want to use carbon dosing, what is wrong with using NP-Bacto-Balance?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if you deliberately cut off the quote but from the same quote you posted a little further down it also states

Tropic Marin® NP-BACTO-BALANCE contains organic and inorganic nutrients.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because that is not how it works in my system. I've been dosing it for almost a year. Took skimmer offline months ago and and started manually advancing my fleece roller. I feed heavily 3-4 times a day using frozen & pellets and reef roids several times a week and I have to add NO3 and PO4...
What would happen if you did the opposite? Took fleece roller offline and kept skimmer online?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because that is not how it works in my system. I've been dosing it for almost a year. Took skimmer offline months ago and and started manually advancing my fleece roller. I feed heavily 3-4 times a day using frozen & pellets and reef roids several times a week and I have to add NO3 and PO4.
I wonder if @Hans-Werner or @Randy Holmes-Farley can clarify this?
I’d be interested as well. I am just regurgitating what I’ve seen here as well.

That being said, your system may also just be maturing and processes nutrients more efficiently. Corals will soak up more nutrients as well.

If your over feeding and still bottoming out, I would probably cut back or stop the carbon

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my PO4 is stable at 0.2PPM, my tank is doing well and I want to use carbon dosing, what is wrong with using NP-Bacto-Balance?
I was addressing the OP, if you want to use bacto go ahead, if you told me you want your po4 stable at 0.2, I would not have suggested you use Elimi, in your situation Elimi would be the wrong product.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was addressing the OP, if you want to use bacto go ahead, if you told me you want your po4 stable at 0.2, I would not have suggested you use Elimi, in your situation Elimi would be the wrong product.
Agree, if the OP's PO4 is above the range they want then Elimi-NP is the product to use.

Once they get to thier desired range then Bacto-Balance is more likely the product to use. That range can be what TM specifies 0.03 - 0.1 ppm, or a different range as desired by the user.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back