High Nitrates!!!

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrates are really high at the moment and i’m going to get my first fish tomorrow because my tank is fully cycled and i’m wondering if some tap water conditioner will solve the problem

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't help. Nitrate reducing bacteria takes a really long time to colonize a tank, so your only options to remove it early on are

- let algae grow and manually remove it or even better cheato in a refugium to export it.
- water changes

An older tank can also use carbon dosing, but thats not something I would recommend that a beginner attempt, and even experienced reefers wait months into a tank before doing that.

OP
OP
T

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't help. Nitrate reducing bacteria takes a really long time to colonize a tank, so your only options to remove it early on are

- let algae grow and manually remove it or even better cheato in a refugium to export it.
- water changes

An older tank can also use carbon dosing, but thats not something I would recommend that a beginner attempt, and even experienced reefers wait months into a tank before doing that.
i’ve done a partial water change today about 10%

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrates are really high at the moment and i’m going to get my first fish tomorrow because my tank is fully cycled and i’m wondering if some tap water conditioner will solve the problem
Water change

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is the tank? You can do a water change and add bacteria for ammonia and just a protector but it probably means the tank isn’t completely cycled yet.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve done a partial water change today about 10%
You need a much bigger one than that if you want to make a serious dent in it. 50% is doable if you don't have fish yet. Won't harm your biological filter.

If you leave them where they are at, it's perfectly safe for fish. I believe 500ppm is the toxicity point of nitrate. You will just grow a *hitton of algae at 100ppm.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? You can do a water change and add bacteria but it probably means the tank isn’t completely cycled yet.
If there is no ammonia and some nitrates, the tank is cycled for the current bioload

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back