High Nitrates!!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, to be more accurate, I think you would say nitrate levels that high indicate that the cycle is not completed; most reefers would consider readings below 20 as "cycled"
I have no idea where this idea comes from! The purpose of cycling a new tank is to allow enough of the 2 kinds of nitrifying bacteria to become established so that ammonia is quickly turned into nitrate. The level of nitrate is then managed by removal/export of some sort.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hard way to. Get another test kit. Red sea or Salifert. No way tour nitrate is that high with a 2 week old tank.

Yeah it can be that high from cycling. Also, API isn't that innacurate/bad. It is popular to bully api on this forum but 99.999% of the time it appears to be a user error in reading the color card as precipitation can make it appear at 0.25. My guess is that the OP has some nitrite and that is making it appear high or they added way too much ammonia.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience topping off with distilled which is seen as too pure and contains no nutrients/minerals drops nutrient levels extremely low and many people recommend it too. Here’s one of many articles on it. https://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/can-you-use-distilled-water-in-a-saltwater-fish-tank/
Top off water is to replace what's evaporated, and minerals don't evaporate! I'm sorry, but you are only going to confuse people with this inaccurate information!
Most experienced reefers use RODI as top off... I guess we're all wrong...

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience topping off with distilled which is seen as too pure and contains no nutrients/minerals drops nutrient levels extremely low and many people recommend it too. Here’s one of many articles on it. https://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/can-you-use-distilled-water-in-a-saltwater-fish-tank/
That advice does not apply to saltwater. That article is about freshwater.

Deionized water or RODI for short is the gold standard for saltwater top off. You get plenty of nutrients from feeding the fish and minerals are are replenished through water changes not top off.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That advice does not apply to saltwater. That article is about freshwater.

Deionized water or RODI for short is the gold standard for saltwater top off. You get plenty of nutrients from feeding the fish and minerals are are replenished through water changes not top off.
There’s more than one article and yes it absolutely does apply to saltwater too and I’ve seen what happens to my levels when I top off with distilled and don’t add any nutrients back they fall to critical levels needed to maintain a reef tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s more than one article and yes it absolutely does apply to saltwater too and I’ve seen what happens to my levels when I top off with distilled and don’t add any nutrients back they fall to critical levels needed to maintain a reef tank.
I'm sorry, but that is simply wrong. To tell a beginner that they need to add something to top off water when you have no idea what their tank needs is irresponsible. I assume you are referring to needing to raise alk, calcium, and the like? That's a whole other discussion and definitely not something a complete beginner with nothing in the tank needs to worry about

Last edited:

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea where this idea comes from! The purpose of cycling a new tank is to allow enough of the 2 kinds of nitrifying bacteria to become established so that ammonia is quickly turned into nitrate. The level of nitrate is then managed by removal/export of some sort.
So how do you determine when a tank is cycled? Metrics?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you determine when a tank is cycled? Metrics?
A tank is cycled in the basic sense when 2ppm ammonia is converted completely to nitrate in 24 hours.
There are of course "cycles" other than the nitrogen cycle that occur in reef tanks, but this thread is about the basic nitrogen cycle.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank is cycled in the basic sense when 2ppm ammonia is converted completely to nitrate in 24 hours.
There are of course "cycles" other than the nitrogen cycle that occur in reef tanks, but this thread is about the basic nitrogen cycle.
And what levels of nitrate should the conversion produce?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry, but that is simply wrong. To tell a beginner that they need to add something to top off water when you have no idea what their tank needs is irresponsible. I assume you are referring to needing to raise alk, calcium, and the like? That's a whole other discussion and definitely not something a complete beginner with nothing in the tank needs to worry about

Remineralizing Distilled Water​

The best way to use distilled water is to mix it with minerals.

This remineralized distilled water makes among the top choices for saltwater aquariums because it is no longer harmful to your fish.

They can absolutely research it more but it’s true and again my personal experience and what others have told me they do when using distilled regularly as top off.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost no tank requires nutrient dosing and the few that do the practice is generally to just feed more.

Maintaining parameters for coral skeletal growth requires additives, but this is typically performed (in order of usage/tank size) water changes -> kalkwasser or allforreef -> 2/3 part dosing -> calcium reactor.

Top off water should always be RODI or RODI mixed with just the right amount of kalkwasser to meet alkalinity demand.

Note for OP. The talk of alkalinity calcium magnesium is applicable for stoney corals only. This is not necessary for fish only.

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been doing this for 22 years… I have NEVER heard of that. Any reputable articles that mention this?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Remineralizing Distilled Water​

The best way to use distilled water is to mix it with minerals.

This remineralized distilled water makes among the top choices for saltwater aquariums because it is no longer harmful to your fish.

They can absolutely research it more but it’s true and again my personal experience and what others have told me they do when using distilled regularly as top off.
I suggest reading this first. RHF is the expert of reef aquaria chemistry. I would not trust an article from a no name website nobody has heard of if it conflicts with anything said by randy.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suggest reading this first. RHF is the expert of reef aquaria chemistry. I would not trust an article from a no name website nobody has heard of if it conflicts with anything said by randy.

Again this was just the website I could find that explained it easily. I have read it in several other places and my LFS recommended it too because topping off just distilled water off for me dropped my levels so low so I add minerals back.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again this was just the website I could find that explained it easily. I have read it in several other places and my LFS recommended it too because topping off just distilled water off for me dropped my levels so low so I add minerals back.
I don't want to take this thread off track. I would suggest posting a question about this in the reef chemistry forum. Randy moderates that forum and can explain it a lot better than I can.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back