High Nitrates?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept fish , fresh and salt for 40 years. Once a day feeding does not make for a weak fish. It is also what you feed. I feed flake, pellets, frozen, live... They do not need as much food as most fish keepers think to be healthy. In fact, over feeding is not doing them any favors.
Your opinion, and your entitled to it.

I'll refer to experts in the field, and what I have done for the better part of 40 years.

Fish eat all day, every day in the ocean.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your opinion, and your entitled to it.

I'll refer to experts in the field, and what I have done for the better part of 40 years.

Fish eat all day, every day in the ocean.
My My.... I just have to say, they are eating all day in your tank. They eat algae, pods, things living in your tank. Nori strips you hang. Keeping fish on a once a day diet keeps them from getting things like bloat, or swim bladder issues(I can not even remember the last time I have had this). I guess after 40 years of you working on fish, you would know that, right? Fish scientist quote, "In general, most fish do quite well on one or two feedings per day. Most fish require 16 to 24 hours to fully digest the food they eat, so a once-a-day feeding is quite sufficient. However, some owners prefer to feed their fish very lightly twice a day (not me)." end quote from a fish scientist. You are not doing this guy any favors if he is over feeding his fish. I have never fed my fish till they stop eating. They get some food that is broadcast through the tank and done. I have fish right now, over 10 years old. Their stomach is the size of their eyes. Good day.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back