High nitrites

OliviaRose99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single Molly and a neon tetra living in my 10 gallon tank. One Molly died and my other 5 tetras died. I have test strips and nitrite and nitrate are high. The kit says to do a water change so did 30% one but there's no change. I would buy more neons but I don't want to risk anymore dying. I noticed i definitely added fish waaay before a proper cycle. I added them the day after i set up my tank. Anyway, what should i do to lower nitrite and nitrate??? I'm lost and if i can't figure out what to do I'll have to give up on fish for their own good.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test strips aren’t exactly the most accurate means of testing. That said, your cycle isn’t quite done yet if you have nitrite still.

Can you put ceramic bio pellets in your filter? Bio balls would work too. The bio pellets and bio balls add much more space for good bacteria to thrive which would help kick your cycle into high gear.

You want to get to where you have no more nitrite. Once you’re at that point your cycle is done and you can do water changes to bring down the nitrates and phosphates.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single Molly and a neon tetra living in my 10 gallon tank. One Molly died and my other 5 tetras died. I have test strips and nitrite and nitrate are high. The kit says to do a water change so did 30% one but there's no change. I would buy more neons but I don't want to risk anymore dying. I noticed i definitely added fish waaay before a proper cycle. I added them the day after i set up my tank. Anyway, what should i do to lower nitrite and nitrate??? I'm lost and if i can't figure out what to do I'll have to give up on fish for their own good.
Neon Tetras cannot live in Salt water

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know mollys can be slowly acclimated top marine but neon?
If anything neons do best in soft water. They come from the black waters of the Amazon basin which has a pH of 4 to 5.

Over the years of being in captivity they’ve adapted to harder water but they don’t breed well in hard water.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are your fish in freshwater or saltwater? Tetras a freshwater fish, hopefully you have a freshwater tank. This is a saltwater forum.

Always best to cycle a tank before adding fish, I would suggest that you let your tank cycle before adding anything more, one day after filling the tank with water is just way to fast, and will often result in fish death. Be patient.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OliviaRose99
Im assuming this is a freshwater setup and although you are visiting a saltwater forum there are many of us that have kept freshwater or have freshwater and saltwater setups .

I would look in the lfs for a bottle of instant cycle nitrifying bacteria but not buy anymore fish yet .
Let the tank cycle . Waiting now will only save tons of frustration and heart ache later .

Good luck with your new aquarium

OP
OP
O

OliviaRose99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OliviaRose99
Im assuming this is a freshwater setup and although you are visiting a saltwater forum there are many of us that have kept freshwater or have freshwater and saltwater setups .

I would look in the lfs for a bottle of instant cycle nitrifying bacteria but not buy anymore fish yet .
Let the tank cycle . Waiting now will only save tons of frustration and heart ache later .

Good luck with your new aquarium
Thanks. My tank is freshwater and i joined reef2reef bc i noticed some other people posting about freshwater fish and issues they had. I have gotten tons of help and i really appreciate all of it. I'll try getting some of that stuff. Thanks.

OP
OP
O

OliviaRose99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are your fish in freshwater or saltwater? Tetras a freshwater fish, hopefully you have a freshwater tank. This is a saltwater forum.

Always best to cycle a tank before adding fish, I would suggest that you let your tank cycle before adding anything more, one day after filling the tank with water is just way to fast, and will often result in fish death. Be patient.
I understand that i added them too quick now, and yes i have a freshwater aquarium.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My tank is freshwater and i joined reef2reef bc i noticed some other people posting about freshwater fish and issues they had. I have gotten tons of help and i really appreciate all of it. I'll try getting some of that stuff. Thanks.
Although knowing your tank was freshwater the principal behind cycling is similar except nitrites in freshwater at the lower levels we experience are toxic where in marine systems nitrites are the same level are not toxic to fish

while at the lfs next . Purchase a few test kits and try to maintain good water quality with water changes .

This will also help keep nutrients below any toxic levels as well as export nutrients such as nitrates

Welcome to r2r and perhaps one day you
Will dip your toes in the salty water

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back