High nutrients

Davesreef’s

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2025
Messages
106
Reaction score
45
Location
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall I’ve been struggling with balancing my display tank. It’s a 90 gal with a sump (25 gallons I believe, filled with about 15).
My nitrates are at 38ppm and phosphates are .80ppm.
I did a 10 gallon water change 2 days ago and am currently changing about 18 gallons. My tank has live stock including:

Blue hippo tang (5 inches)
Longnose hawkish
Kleins butterfly fish
Coral beauty angel fish
Tomini tang
2 mature Pajama cardinals
Extreme mocha misbar clown
Six-line wrasse
Damsel fish
Coral banded shrimp
A clean up crew of snails and hermits

Anybody have any suggestions? My filtration runs through the sump with a Refugium, filter sock then a protein skimmer. I have some phosphate minus in my filter sock but it clearly hasn’t worked as well as I need it to
 
Thats alot of fish for a 90..(depending on the fish size).
regardless, waterchanges and lowered feedings should help.....
 
how are the corals doing?
I would cut down on feeding and keep up the wc's. The fish dont care about the phos.....and that level Nitrates wont kill them...just the real impact is on the corals and whatever algae is now growing in the tank......
 
Is’d ramp up export, thought is not a big deal, IMO. Some great reef tanks have both higher than you do.
 
That is a pretty heavy fish load (mostly the Blue Hippo Tang). Nutrients are on the high side but not crazily so. How old is your tank? During the first year or more the nutrient level can vary dramatically especially if you used dry rock for the aquascape. I found that using frozen food more than dry food help lower nutrients.
 
That is a pretty heavy fish load (mostly the Blue Hippo Tang). Nutrients are on the high side but not crazily so. How old is your tank? During the first year or more the nutrient level can vary dramatically especially if you used dry rock for the aquascape. I found that using frozen food more than dry food help lower nutrients.
This tank is like 12 years old lol. I’ve been in the hobby for about a year and a half, I’ve taken over care of my family’s tank. It’s had this fish load for quite some time and the high nutrients. I’ve struggled with corals as you can imagine in this tank but they thrive in the tanks I set up 2 years ago. Ideally I grow coral out in my two smaller tanks and when they out grow it I move them to the display in my family room.
 
nitrates look fine. I don’t have personal experience since I have to dose phos, but have you tried Melevs Reef method with Phosban-L?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new