OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced the Rowa last week and got phosphates down around 2.3 yesterday.... Today back over 2.50 ppm is my RowaPho depleting in a week?

Going to do another water change with my weekly schedule and replace the Rowa Phosphate remover plan to up it to 4 tbsp.... This battle is taking it toll on my patience I have found chemicals that you can dose the tank with to remove the phosphates that I am getting closer and closer to using...

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine and take your time. Apparently your rock has absorbed a lot.

You do not want to rapidly deplete it.

Time is not an issue.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change complete add 3 tbsp of RowaPhos.... I know its going to take time but it does seem to be stressing the corals some.

Going to keep testing daily and increase to watee changes twice a week.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Couple things.

If corals are stressing, stop the water changes.

Just continue to run the rowaphos and let that bring your PO4 down.

You said you use the Hanna Phosphate checker correct?

Are the reagents expired?

Can you test the PO4 on some freshly made saltwater?

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals looked a lot better today. Tested the water was at 1.68 ppm. I haven't tested freshly made water I did test my source water and it was 0.00 ppm.

Didn't do a water change like planned just replaced my filter floss and cleaned skimmer cup.

I am using a Hanna and the reagents are brand new.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals looked a lot better today. Tested the water was at 1.68 ppm. I haven't tested freshly made water I did test my source water and it was 0.00 ppm.

Didn't do a water change like planned just replaced my filter floss and cleaned skimmer cup.

I am using a Hanna and the reagents are brand new.

Ok. On April 5 you were at 2.5.

That was 3 days ago. Rowaphos works fast.

Monitor closely as you don’t want to hit zero, and it can happen fast!

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. On April 5 you were at 2.5.

That was 3 days ago. Rowaphos works fast.

Monitor closely as you don’t want to hit zero, and it can happen fast!

Thanks for the heads up I am testing daily right now as it is dropping. Test was at 1.62 ppm about 10 min ago. Once I get below 1 ppm I planned to cut the Rowaphos back and when I get below .75 ppm I was looking into adding a BRS Mini reactor and mix .5 cup ROX 0.8 and .25 cup of high capacity GFO.

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up I am testing daily right now as it is dropping. Test was at 1.62 ppm about 10 min ago. Once I get below 1 ppm I planned to cut the Rowaphos back and when I get below .75 ppm I was looking into adding a BRS Mini reactor and mix .5 cup ROX 0.8 and .25 cup of high capacity GFO.
i would just remove the sand bed, sand beds are no good ever... they just leach and leach phosphates.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just remove the sand bed, sand beds are no good ever... they just leach and leach phosphates.

I can't... bare bottom tanks are not for me. I like the more natural look of the sand bed. Plus I have battled it this far and they are down to .98 ppm. Soon I will install a BRS reactor with carbon and GFO to level the system out in the .1 to .05 ppm area and keep it there.

Also just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has helped me out along the way of this battle. I know it is just one of many with the learn curve of reef keeping and I am seeing how these nano's things can change so fast!

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have continued with my water changes weekly and then changing out the RowaPhos on Monday and Thursdays still using 3 tablespoons.

Phosphates are at .65 ppm today before feeding. Going to keep updating and see this through. I have found to many threads on all the forums where there is lots of information then it just stops...

Going to keep measure phosphates daily and watch where they go.

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have continued with my water changes weekly and then changing out the RowaPhos on Monday and Thursdays still using 3 tablespoons.

Phosphates are at .65 ppm today before feeding. Going to keep updating and see this through. I have found to many threads on all the forums where there is lots of information then it just stops...

Going to keep measure phosphates daily and watch where they go.
do you have a good skimmer set up ?

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Reef Octupus BH50 so far it seems to pulling good skimmate but it is pretty wet I can't raise the skimmer level or lower the water level because of the sump set up so I clean the skimmer cup twice a week.

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Reef Octupus BH50 so far it seems to pulling good skimmate but it is pretty wet I can't raise the skimmer level or lower the water level because of the sump set up so I clean the skimmer cup twice a week.
do you have large deposits of detritus ? one technique i used to lower my phosphates when they got high was to remove as much hidden detritus as i could via filter pad, i would use a baster to blow particulate matters into the water column 3 - 4 times a day and i covered my intake with small filter pad cut outs, i then threw the pads away weekly when they were covered in stuff, my phosphates went from .20 down to .06 which is acceptable for me considering the corals i keep (mostly lps, and mushrooms) but i also started running my skimmer full-time which coupled with some water changes and particulate basting has dropped my phosphates considerably, my corals will get really upset when they get high.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you keep testing often even after it gets to a low number. Sometimes rocks will just let the po4 go after you think it’s settled and having them swing back and fourth trying to keep them down isn’t good either.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am blowing the rocks of daily with a baster and I change my filter floss every 3 days on they system.

I am test every other day once I get down around .1 to .05 I am going to put the BRS reactor online. Once I get the reactor online I will keep checking ever 2 days for another few weeks then change to weekly.

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am blowing the rocks of daily with a baster and I change my filter floss every 3 days on they system.

I am test every other day once I get down around .1 to .05 I am going to put the BRS reactor online. Once I get the reactor online I will keep checking ever 2 days for another few weeks then change to weekly.
just make sure to keep an eye on the reactor, if the media ever stops mixing it can crash your tank seen it happen to my buddy it was terrible.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just make sure to keep an eye on the reactor, if the media ever stops mixing it can crash your tank seen it happen to my buddy it was terrible.

The media that stops tumbling will not crash your tank

Once the media stops tumbling or mixing. The surface area of the media is drastically reduced. Causing the media to be a lot less effective

It’s the same reason why you use a reactor and not just put a bag in your sump
Hope this helped

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run GFO and carbon in a reactor for one hour, 3 times a day to control PO4 levels. When it is below .1 then I just adjust schedule or turn until needed

Sheps1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run GFO and carbon in a reactor for one hour, 3 times a day to control PO4 levels. When it is below .1 then I just adjust schedule or turn until needed

Never heard that method before of running for a short time daily but good idea I think...never any issues?

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to mix carbon and gfo for my 20L. Probably go with a 1/2 cup of carbon and 1/4 GFO and mix them well to prevent the GFO from turning into a solid block.

On my new 225 gallon tank I have a reactor for each just because of the efficiency and the amount of recommend carbon and gfo.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back