High Phosphate Levels

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed an elevated level of phosphates over the last 30 to 45 days and now it is sitting around 2.50 ppm. I am checking it with a Hanna Phosphate Checker.

My system is a 20L with a 15 gallon sump that I run a NO3 block in and have 7ish gallon chamber with chaeto algae in it that seems to be increasing in size greatly. I am running chemi pure blue.

For live stock I have a clown, cardinal, watchman goby, pistol shrimp. Then I have 5 snails and 2 blue leg crabs. I feed 3 times a week.

I am looking for advice how to get and keep my levels down. I haven't added and chemicals or removers I was hoping the refugium would remove some but at this point it seems like that isn't going to happen.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed an elevated level of phosphates over the last 30 to 45 days and now it is sitting around 2.50 ppm. I am checking it with a Hanna Phosphate Checker.

My system is a 20L with a 15 gallon sump that I run a NO3 block in and have 7ish gallon chamber with chaeto algae in it that seems to be increasing in size greatly. I am running chemi pure blue.

For live stock I have a clown, cardinal, watchman goby, pistol shrimp. Then I have 5 snails and 2 blue leg crabs. I feed 3 times a week.

I am looking for advice how to get and keep my levels down. I haven't added and chemicals or removers I was hoping the refugium would remove some but at this point it seems like that isn't going to happen.
Do you have algae in display? Feed heavy? Tested source water for po4?
I run a fuge and gfo. My po4 kept creeping up on me. I did a series of small water changes to get it down into the range I wanted and now gfo and fuge are keeping it down.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a few water changes over the next 2 weeks to get your PO4 to .1 or less.

Ensure you have a good NO3 test kit as the tolerances on some can really throw you off.

Then, test regularly at the same time, on a consistent basis to determine what your increase truly is.

Then you can begin to identify and manage these things.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes do not do much for lowering Phosphates. Phosphates will leach into your rock and other surfaces and doing the water change will simple lower and raise them quickly. Water changes should be done weekly imo to help reduce nitrates and also keep your trace elements and toxics that might enter your tank in check

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes do not do much for lowering Phosphates. Phosphates will leach into your rock and other surfaces and doing the water change will simple lower and raise them quickly. Water changes should be done weekly imo to help reduce nitrates and also keep your trace elements and toxics that might enter your tank in check

In this case I am recommending water changes to get PO4 under control.

Then test to see how much and how quickly it is increasing.

Only then can you truly know what next steps to take.

You can’t just say the rocks absorb then leech it back in so it won’t help.

If it’s creeping up for the first time in this tank, then it most likely isn’t leeching from the rocks.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Phosphates are 2.5 ppm
Not .25 not .025.

Imo water changes aren’t going to do anything.

Your tank got way to high. Those rocks are Phosphates sponges by now

Assuming you have sand I would assume it’s loaded with detritus

Also are you feeding pellets or flakes. Those are Phosphates machines I would switch to a clean frozen food

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Phosphates are 2.5 ppm
Not .25 not .025.

Imo water changes aren’t going to do anything.

Your tank got way to high. Those rocks are Phosphates sponges by now

Assuming you have sand I would assume it’s loaded with detritus

Also are you feeding pellets or flakes. Those are Phosphates machines I would switch to a clean frozen food

So what is your recommendation to help the OP get it back to acceptable and then maintain?

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add Gfo when levels are that high
I normally do half of the recommended amount. I rather change my Gfo weekly then have it’s too fast

Would also do water changes Start with weekly
But blow the rocks. See how much detritus comes off rocks. Also vacuum half the sand once a week too
Would do 20 precent water charges

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is your recommendation to help the OP get it back to acceptable and then maintain?
Why not try wc? Can't hurt right and on a 20 wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm on board with the WC suggestion as well and see where it gets the OP. If a couple WCs don't make a difference then further steps could be made.

Personally if WC doesn't do it why not dose something like po4-e where you can dose a specific amount to achieve a measurable drop and do it slowly. Once it has been dropped to a range easier to manage then gfo could be used to keep it there

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add Gfo when levels are that high
I normally do half of the recommended amount. I rather change my Gfo weekly then have it’s too fast

Would also do water changes Start with weekly
But blow the rocks. See how much detritus comes off rocks. Also vacuum half the sand once a week too
Would do 20 precent water charges

Good sound advice for the OP.

I used to use GFO, but now I use Rowaphos if I need to lower phosphates.

Have you ever tried it?

No reactor needed. Just use the supplied bag, suspended in my filter sock, 3 tablespoons and BAM.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good sound advice for the OP.

I used to use GFO, but now I use Rowaphos if I need to lower phosphates.

Have you ever tried it?

No reactor needed. Just use the supplied bag, suspended in my filter sock, 3 tablespoons and BAM.
Actually Rowa is my gfo of choice. I find it very effective with a small amount. Actually first time I used it I stripped my po4 and killed my chaeto

I do use mine in an aquamax reactor and it works great

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the argument about not doing water changes but doing GFO instead. It sounds like the argument against water change is that the rocks have absorbed phosphate, so when the water change replaces phosphate-laden water with cleaner water, that will cause the built-up phosphate to leach out of the rock and raise levels again. What do you think happens when GFO takes phosphates out of the water?

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I used both.
Both are good products

In a smaller than like that.
The bags might work

In a larger tank the Gfo reactor simple is more effective and will save you money in the long run

It will take a ton of Water changes when your Phosphates are this high
Why not try it you ask trust me I have :)
Trying to save the op some time
As far as dosing Phosphates reducing chemicals. I don’t prefer that method
Simple because anytime you dosing you run the risk of over dosing
I like to keep things simple
Gfo in a bag or reactor will work.
Just start with quarter of recommend wait 3 days test.
Test your tank and also test the water coming out of the Gfo reactor if you use reactor.

It took me 6 months to lower my Phosphates on top of water changes when my Phosphates where 2.1.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the argument about not doing water changes but doing GFO instead. It sounds like the argument against water change is that the rocks have absorbed phosphate, so when the water change replaces phosphate-laden water with cleaner water, that will cause the built-up phosphate to leach out of the rock and raise levels again. What do you think happens when GFO takes phosphates out of the water?

I never said don’t do water changes.

Simple said water changes isn’t the most effective way of reducing Phosphates

20 precent water changes once a will not put a dent once your Phosphates reach 2.5ppm. We aren’t talking .25ppm

Gfo is so much more efficient than water changes

Op
Test your Phosphates 3 times in a row

Do a 10 precent water change and test again in hour. I bet your Phosphates won’t drop at all

For nitrates water changes work better because it takes a while for Detrious to turn to nitrates while Phosphates happens much quicker.

But I wish the op the best. I have to go good luck

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I used both.
Both are good products

In a smaller than like that.
The bags might work

In a larger tank the Gfo reactor simple is more effective and will save you money in the long run

It will take a ton of Water changes when your Phosphates are this high
Why not try it you ask trust me I have :)
Trying to save the op some time
As far as dosing Phosphates reducing chemicals. I don’t prefer that method
Simple because anytime you dosing you run the risk of over dosing
I like to keep things simple
Gfo in a bag or reactor will work.
Just start with quarter of recommend wait 3 days test.
Test your tank and also test the water coming out of the Gfo reactor if you use reactor.

It took me 6 months to lower my Phosphates on top of water changes when my Phosphates where 2.1.
Honestly the first time I used po4-e was the first time I ever used any version of LC in my tank. I took the directions on the bottle and did some calculation for my tank and po4 level. I then started with a small amount then tested to record the drop. Surprisingly you can actually dose a measured amount and see the relative, equivalent amount removed. Cause and effect.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the first time I used po4-e was the first time I ever used any version of LC in my tank. I took the directions on the bottle and did some calculation for my tank and po4 level. I then started with a small amount then tested to record the drop. Surprisingly you can actually dose a measured amount and see the relative, equivalent amount removed. Cause and effect.

Lc can wipe out a whole tank if not dosed correctly and also needs to be filtered out
Read the warning labels on it.

I am personally not adding anything to my tank with a warning label that states can kill your whole tank

Especially when there are other safer alternatives
But hey it’s your tank
I am offering my advice after 20 years of doing this and yes killing my share of corals :)

Best wishes

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Rowa is my gfo of choice. I find it very effective with a small amount. Actually first time I used it I stripped my po4 and killed my chaeto

I do use mine in an aquamax reactor and it works great
First time I used the same thing happened to me! Lost my chaeto. Fortunately my PO4 has just hung around .03 for the past 6 months.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding on Monday and Friday with PE Mysis Pellet food and then PE Mysis Frozen food on Wednesday.

I check my source water about 5 min ago and it was 0.00 PO.... The tank is at 2.50 did a 4 gallon water change last night. I am going to try and do 4 gallon water changes daily and measure the PO 30 min after each water change. used live rock purchased from a fish store and haven't had an issue until about the last month. I usually test weekly but all I had was just a cheapo API Test kit until last week when I bought the 3 Hanna Checkers. I am going to my LFS on Sunday (its a 2 hour drive) I will pick up some GFO or P04-E just to have some here on hand. I will blow the rocks off daily before the water change and vacuum half the sand bed tonight then do the other half Sunday. I will do the daily water changes for a week testing everyday to keep track of my levels for the next few weeks.

(Turned the whites up to be able to take these photos)

. 0322191335a_HDR.jpg 0322191335 (1).jpg 0322191335a.jpg 0322191335_HDR.jpg

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Hanna checker the phosphate checker, or the ULR phosphorus checker?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back