High phosphates

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully knocked out a pretty bad hair algae outbreak on my 1.5 yr old tank but for the life of me, I can’t knock down phosphates.

Tank is a 90g bow front corner tank with a 20g sump.
SG - 1.023
Amm - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 1
Alk - 12.3
Calc - 450
Mag - 1300
Po4 - 0.90

I use a Hanna ulr checker for phosphate, Red Sea for alk, calc, and mag, and salifert for amm, no2, and no3.

I have 2 165w viparspectra lighting at 30% blue 2% white. Blues on 4 hours, then blue/white 4 hours, back to just blue 4 hours. Reef octopus 150.

Tank inhabitants:
2 false percula clowns
Sand sifting star
Numerous snails and blue leg hermit crabs
4 lps corals
Bunch of shrooms
2 sps coral frags

I don’t have any chaeto or macro algae in my sump (#1 problem?). I also don’t have a gfo reactor (#2 problem?). I dose nopox but it clouds my tank badly (no other adverse side effects) and drops my no3 down to almost 0 if I’m not careful which causes other problems (cyano outbreak).

Help is greatly appreciated!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a algae scrubber is a great addition to the battle tools for high phosphate.
Be very stingy with feeding of the clowns. Is also a good way to lower phosphates.
These two are the best choices chemical methods can mask the phosphate and maybe exhausted faster than you replace it.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a algae scrubber is a great addition to the battle tools for high phosphate.
Be very stingy with feeding of the clowns. Is also a good way to lower phosphates.
These two are the best choices chemical methods can mask the phosphate and maybe exhausted faster than you replace it.
I feed my clowns a 1/4 cube of mysis/brine (alternating) once a day. I even rinse my cubes before feeding trying to bring down po4. They eat nearly all of it in a matter of seconds and anything left over gets gobbled up by crabs fairly quickly.

OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefwiser is there a scrubber you recommend or maybe diy? I’m not very good with diy stuff, so unless I’m saving hundreds of dollars, diy isn’t a money saving option.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back