High phosphates

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high phosphates no reactor just media bag. I have PhosGuard and Rowaphos. Would it be ok in media bag? My phosphates reading 0.576 ppm

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix the RowaPhos with activated carbon inside a media bag, which prevents the need for a reactor.

Phosguard is acceptable in a media bag, but it is not my ideal choice for phosphate reduction. If you decide to use it, rinse it well and do occasional water changes to remove the aluminum that may build up when trying to remove a lot of phosphates with aluminum-based PO4 removers.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have serious doubts about the costs involved in keeping low phosphate versus the benefits. I’ve not seen a “bad thing” upto 1 ppm. However, keeping nitrate in check usually keeps phosphate at reasonable levels in my experience.
I have high phosphates no reactor just media bag. I have PhosGuard and Rowaphos. Would it be ok in media bag? My phosphates reading 0.576 ppm
What are your nitrates?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at 10
I’ve used Rowaphos (which comes with bag) in a bag to reduce phosphates.
But watch the level closely and give the system a break from this for a month or two when you half that number.
Nitrates fine.
That’s under the condition that there’s something not happy in your system, then I’d do nothing.

Back