High volume auto water change pumps?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But who is reef beef?

Oh my friend, you are in for a treat especial! Reef Beef is by far the best reef aquarium podcast.

It's run by a guy who was a professional aquarist at a public aquarium (where he was responsible for a 200k gallon reef) and a guy who services reef aquaria in people's homes for a living.

Lots and lots of knowledge without the gross egos of some of the other reef aquarium podcasts. They have a YouTube version too if that is more of your jam. My commute is roughly 1000% less annoying with reef beef.

Check it out:

I recommend starting with the one they recently in put out about the reboot of Joe Yaiullo's 20k gallon reef tank at the long island aquarium. Good stuff.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few points about the DOS solution:

The 30 gal per day limit already takes into account built in rest time. 250 ml/ min with no rest would be 95 gal/day.

Continuous change results in constant sump water volume (no need to disable ATO, skimmer, return).

In continuous mode, 15 gal/ day would run at 125 ml/ min speed dosing 400 ml every 10 min.

You can create a jumper for the DDR connector and change it to your NSW reservoir volume to show remaining fill in Fusion.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a system that big, budget must be good… why not multiple DOS; like 3 or 4 that work together simultaneously

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a wonderfully complicated expensive way to do something simple.
A big system must need something like that.

Mines only 700 gallons. My little Maxijets only change 1 gallon /min

oreolk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my friend, you are in for a treat especial! Reef Beef is by far the best reef aquarium podcast.

It's run by a guy who was a professional aquarist at a public aquarium (where he was responsible for a 200k gallon reef) and a guy who services reef aquaria in people's homes for a living.

Lots and lots of knowledge without the gross egos of some of the other reef aquarium podcasts. They have a YouTube version too if that is more of your jam. My commute is roughly 1000% less annoying with reef beef.

Check it out:

I recommend starting with the one they recently in put out about the reboot of Joe Yaiullo's 20k gallon reef tank at the long island aquarium. Good stuff.
Plus they are funny as anything. I listen to their podcast at work. These 2 crazy guys keep me sane. Love reef beef! And I also learn a thing or two.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus they are funny as anything. I listen to their podcast at work. These 2 crazy guys keep me sane. Love reef beef! And I also learn a thing or two.
They are SO much better than the other reefing podcasts. Quality content for sure.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few points about the DOS solution:

The 30 gal per day limit already takes into account built in rest time. 250 ml/ min with no rest would be 95 gal/day.

Continuous change results in constant sump water volume (no need to disable ATO, skimmer, return).

In continuous mode, 15 gal/ day would run at 125 ml/ min speed dosing 400 ml every 10 min.

You can create a jumper for the DDR connector and change it to your NSW reservoir volume to show remaining fill in Fusion.

Interesting, but that isnt how I want to run the system. The pumps are loud so Id rather it be done all at once, at night rather than non stop small changes over the whole day.

Based on this thread ill be doing simultaneous in/out so that would cut the change time in half and I wont have to worry about the ATO.

And I dont plan to use a DDR for anything, way too small. I have a 275g mix system and 10 gallon tanks for 3-part.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a system that big, budget must be good… why not multiple DOS; like 3 or 4 that work together simultaneously

Mounting space is already becoming an issue, and why would I spend $1200+ on small loud pumps when the X2SR is under $500 will do the same thing faster?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And I dont plan to use a DDR for anything,

You don't need the DDR to show the reservoir volume link

You can edit the volume of the reservoir, then type in the amount in it. As it uses the liquid it will reduce the amount shown. I would not trust it to 0 (You could add a low sensor if you wanted), but gives a nice visual indicator of when it needs to be changed.

Here is the display for my 30 gallon Brute:
1652277037809.png

This is the display for my 3 L custom dosing containers:
1652277074779.png

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I dont plan to use a DDR for anything, way too small. I have a 275g mix system and 10 gallon tanks for 3-part.
That wasn't the point he was trying to make. If you check out the build thread I linked earlier for failsafes, I have instructions in that thread on how to create a "Fake DDR". You can either add a voltage divider circuit to the 6 pin molex connector or wire the molex connector up to 1/8 female ttrs connector to get the benefits of a DDR with either optical sensors or just reservoir tracking without actually purchasing one.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. Thats a whole other bag of worms I wasnt planning to get into yet. I will implement a low level signal for the mix tank but it will require more thought since I use RC salt which mixes up with a top quality brown film that will coat optical sensors and clog float switches. A virtual storage tank might be the solution! I will look into that.

For now Im just trying to figure out what the best peristaltic pump will be for what I want to do. Im leaning toward the Kamoer X2RS but the lack of replacement parts is holding me back.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the brown gunk on float switches (is a concern for optical sensors). I have Madison float switches in my Saltwater mixing barrel and they have not failed once in in the 5 years I have had this station set up and I only clean out the gunk maybe once a year. I also use reef crystals

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wasn't the point he was trying to make. If you check out the build thread I linked earlier for failsafes, I have instructions in that thread on how to create a "Fake DDR". You can either add a voltage divider circuit to the 6 pin molex connector or wire the molex connector up to 1/8 female ttrs connector to get the benefits of a DDR with either optical sensors or just reservoir tracking without actually purchasing one.
Zombie, that link is no longer working (the one at the bottom of your post, not the button under your user name.). Any chance you can update it or point to where that info is at now please?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back