High volume auto water change pumps?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a DOS to do AWC's on my 60 gallon QT system and decided Id like to do the same for my display. The problem is the system is 800 gallons and I would like to do 10-15 gallon daily changes and using a DOS it would take running non stop to do a 15 gallon change. (15g in, 15g out, not running in and out at the same time) This just seems like a good way to burn out a pump.

So what is the best option for a higher volume AWC system? I saw the X2SR on BRS but it seems to have issues lasting more than a year.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef beef guys were talking about this....Ben is using a STENNER brand perstaltic pump for this very type of setup. I'm sure you could email him and ask about it. I guess it's for swimming pools.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The reef beef guys were talking about this....Ben is using a STENNER brand perstaltic pump for this very type of setup. I'm sure you could email him and ask about it. I guess it's for swimming pools.

Head's up, they are loud so unless it's a basement setup I can't recommend it.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Kamoer. I do 22 gallons spread out over a day, it runs for 15min every 2 hours. If you did 10-15 gallons at one time it would take 40-60mins.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basement fish room so unless its stupid loud it shouldnt be an issue. But who is reef beef?

New&no clue,​

how long have you been using the Kamoer?

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use two sicce ultra zero pumps with the apex or digital timers and float switch cut-offs.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Hydros XS with a WIFI power bar. You run AWC and ATO through controlled AC outlets. You can use any pump you want that runs on AC. I use 2 Maxijet 1200s to change 6 gallons a day.
But they don't have to even be the same pumps.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS can do up to 30 gallons per day with no risk to burning up the pump. It limits you to 33% duty cycle automatically as a safety precautions.
But... this kind of setup requires tubing replacement maintenance. Standard pumps do not have that issue (at the cost of accuracy).

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to stick with peristaltic pumps. I tried a float switch/maxijet system with a 10 gallon tank a few years ago and could not get it to be consistent.

And yes I know a DOS could do this, but what if I decide I want to do more per day? What if I dont want my ATO off for 23.5 hours a day. If you have to max a unit out its not the right one for the job and since I have not purchased anything yet Id rather get something that will work better.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to stick with peristaltic pumps. I tried a float switch/maxijet system with a 10 gallon tank a few years ago and could not get it to be consistent.

And yes I know a DOS could do this, but what if I decide I want to do more per day? What if I dont want my ATO off for 23.5 hours a day. If you have to max a unit out its not the right one for the job and since I have not purchased anything yet Id rather get something that will work better.
Check out the way I have my DOS coded in this build thread. I do not shut off my ATO while my DOS is running and I have done it this way for 5 years straight without issue.

There are higher volume options that are a lot more but still very reliable like Cole Palmer if you need something that's more like 60+ gallons per day

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a basement fish room so unless its stupid loud it shouldnt be an issue. But who is reef beef?

New&no clue,​

how long have you been using the Kamoer?
I just started to use it, so I can't give a full review. But so far so good. It is a little loud, but my sump is also in the basement, and I don't hear it. I picked this one for the amount of water and the distance it can pump; I needed something that would pump water across the basement to be drained.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the Kamoer. I do 22 gallons spread out over a day, it runs for 15min every 2 hours. If you did 10-15 gallons at one time it would take 40-60mins.

If I had known how long it would take to do a 10 gallon change via DOS, I would have strongly considered the Kamoer. The only caveat I see is there are no readily available replacement heads...yet. I've heard (no pun intended) that it is more quiet than DOS also.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the way I have my DOS coded in this build thread. I do not shut off my ATO while my DOS is running and I have done it this way for 5 years straight without issue.

There are higher volume options that are a lot more but still very reliable like Cole Palmer if you need something that's more like 60+ gallons per day

Yeah you guys have it coded for simultaneous in/out. I was hoping to do full volume out then in. Doing it at the same time ends up being an equivalent water change of about 15% less that "out then in" When youre doing 300-400 gallons of water changes a month that adds up.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you guys have it coded for simultaneous in/out. I was hoping to do full volume out then in. Doing it at the same time ends up being an equivalent water change of about 15% less that "out then in" When youre doing 300-400 gallons of water changes a month that adds up.

That is in comparison to monthly changes. Daily change is would have 87.59% original water after 7 days. Continuous will have 87.7% original after 7 days.

Actually 8% more usage not 15.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is in comparison to monthly changes. Daily change is would have 87.59% original water after 7 days. Continuous will have 87.7% original after 7 days.

Actually 8% more usage not 15.

Im an engineer and I hate when I get out mathed. Especially by a dead engineer.

Touche' sir. I would still rather it not take 10-15 hours to do a water change. But at least a DOS could work.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im an engineer and I hate when I get out mathed. Especially by a dead engineer.

Touche' sir. I would still rather it not take 10-15 hours to do a water change. But at least a DOS could work.
At that size tank, it's definitely a hard choice of speed vs integration. I prefer the DOS myself because it's easier to integrate, but you could come close with a cole palmer or kamoer if you plugged it into an Energy bar and applied similar failsafes to stop the process for low sump high sump conductivity out of range for tank and NSW barrel.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my oldest kid is 21 and still have 4 litermeter 3 pumps doing auto water chang and feeding nielson and calcium reactors all still working that are older than him by far. the steiner suggested is also solid but way louder, way way way louder. my tanksize has been 300-700 gallons over the years with moving homes so significant usage on water changes.. the calcium reactor is the biggest mrc makes with twin 8 inch diameter 32 tall chambers and a 6 by 24 final chamber.its a healty amount of pressure to pull thru it. i think it would burn a dos pump up.

i have one of the kamoer (their $300 version, on my magnesium 6x20 reactor) it works work fine. if your more techie the kamoers are internet based.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
my oldest kid is 21 and still have 4 litermeter 3 pumps doing auto water chang and feeding nielson and calcium reactors all still working that are older than him by far. the steiner suggested is also solid but way louder, way way way louder. my tanksize has been 300-700 gallons over the years with moving homes so significant usage on water changes.. the calcium reactor is the biggest mrc makes with twin 8 inch diameter 32 tall chambers and a 6 by 24 final chamber.its a healty amount of pressure to pull thru it. i think it would burn a dos pump up.

i have one of the kamoer (their $300 version, on my magnesium 6x20 reactor) it works work fine. if your more techie the kamoers are internet based.

LiterMeter is a great option but their pricing has increased drastically along with warranty taking a cut.

LMIII are nearly impossible to find used because whoever has them keeps onto them - yep, they are that good.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiterMeter is a great option but their pricing has increased drastically along with warranty taking a cut.

They also have not been instock for months and SpectraPure suspended tech support so if you have a problem you are SOL.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back