Hikari Frozen Foods

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Rods almost exclusively for food. I really miss premeasured cubes though. Hikari seems to have a line of very reasonably priced frozen foods. Who uses them? Any thoughts, comments, etc?

There have been times I’ve switched away from Rods and my fish always start looking unhealthier over time. Anyone seen this? Have you seen it while feeding Hikari?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, I've found Hikari frozen food to be of poor quality. Lots of broken and inedible bits in both the mysis and brine. The brine are small and skinny. I prefer San Francisco Bay brand or H2O (if H2O is still around, it's been a while since I've seen them for sale).

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hikari mysis and spirulina brine exclusively as my frozen food and main staple of my fish diet. Most of my fish have smaller mouths, so the broken bits are welcome - brands like PE are too large and arent eaten usually, and I find a lot more uneaten food in my filter socks. All of my fish are visually healthy. I do soak in Selecon 1-3x a week if Im not in a hurry. I also feed two types of pellets, and live blackworms regularily. I have used LRS a few times, but without a supplier nearby, its difficult for me to obtain regularily.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Hikari mysis. They are smaller than PE, so my fish can eat them easier. There are some bits, but the majority are whole shrimp. The small size also makes it easier to feed to LPS. Hikari mysis, in conjunction with LRS Nano, PE pellets, NLS pellets, ON F1 pellets, and occasional live blackworms, keeps my fish vibrant, healthy and active.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the mysis, spirulina brine and mega marine, I use them pretty much daily along with LRS.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With the Hikari mysis, etc do most thaw in tank water or what do your fish prefer?
I put a cube in a small dish with tank water and let it thaw. Drain off the water and add to the tank in the flow of a powerhead.

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed spirolina brine and mysis exclusively. Always soaked in Selcon.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l use both RODS and LRS. l also use Hikari Krill for the Anemones, never had any complaints and everyone is fat and healthy

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find a lot of frozen foods tend to stink and have that fishy smell. That is due to thawing out and refreezing. Then improperly stored in a freezer that is not a cold enough freezer. The stores like Petco and Petsmart for example use the wrong kind of freezers. Their brine shrimp is tan or brown. Not going to feed that to my fish. Hikari is always found at a LFS that has an actual good deep freezer. So I stick with Hikari for that reason alone.

IMG_20171215_014927.jpg

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed hikari spirulina brine and the mysis as well....although pe mysis is def the better choice quality wise, for the price you can’t go wrong with mixing it in...I like the spriluna brine tho....they also have a new omega enriched brine which I want to try...I like to mix itbecause certain fish go for the smaller brine while
Others go for the larger pe
Mysis....The best food is def LrS reefnano but it’s still fairly large chunks

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish tend to like Hikari the best. Can't say why.. But when I blow $20 on two packs of PE Mysis my fish won't eat it kinda sucks. Blow $20 on Rods my fish peck at a little... $30 on two packs of LRS my fish don't seem to care for...

I've spent a lot of money on fish food my fish are indifferent to. Here's what my fish all seem to love without question:

- Hikari Mysis / Spirulina Brine
- OVA
- Reef Nutrition (Everything they offer)
- BRS Reef Chili

The list of things I've bought for my fish that they didn't care for is disappointing. I probably wasted a good $150+ on food my fish wouldn't touch. No matter how high end it was.

All that said, I offer a large mix of everything I can. My typical food mix is the following:

- Hikari Mysis & Spirulina Brine
- v20 mysis & spirulina brine (tiny particles, practically useless)
- OVA
- Rods Eggs
- Reef Nutrition Pods / ChromaBoost
- Reef Chili
- AquaForest FishV
- SELCO Boost
- Selcon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back