Hikari Mysis size change??

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed that the size of the mysis shrimp inside the frozen Hikari flat packs are much smaller than they were before? I think the last pack I had the shrimp were double the size of the ones I have in a new pack. Some of my larger fish wont even go for them because they are so small. I'm wondering if its a seasonal harvest thing or should I avoid the brand from now on? The old size used to be perfect for my copperband and wrasses.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always bought Hikari mysis cubes if I want smaller sizes for my smaller fish and PE Mysis cubes if I wanted larger sizes for my larger fish. Sorry I didn’t see that you identified specifically the flat pack. Again my apologies.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There are 2 different size mysis from Hikari that come in the 1lb. flat pack.
One is the jumbo size ( I think it's on the label ) and the other is much smaller.
They have different colored labels. The smaller size mysis has the purple colored label.

What I want to know is,,,where are you finding frozen mysis?

OP
OP
silvernblackr35

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 different size mysis from Hikari that come in the 1lb. flat pack.
One is the jumbo size ( I think it's on the label ) and the other is much smaller.
They have different colored labels. The smaller size mysis has the purple colored label.

What I want to know is,,,where are you finding frozen mysis?
I can find it at my lfs. I've always used the smaller size flat pack, the jumbo is about the same size as pe mysis so you are better off just getting PE mysis. The smaller pack I just purchased is much smaller than the exact same product I have been using for years. Most of the mysis are so small they just go to waste.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can find it at my lfs. I've always used the smaller size flat pack, the jumbo is about the same size as pe mysis so you are better off just getting PE mysis. The smaller pack I just purchased is much smaller than the exact same product I have been using for years. Most of the mysis are so small they just go to waste.
I always order online. I usually get 7-8 lbs. of the Hikari mysis and the same in frozen brine shrimp.
Everybody has been out for months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back