Hippo tang acting strange

kategoebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

My hippo tang has been acting strange recently. I’ve had her for close to two years, and I purchased her as a young fish. I have a 75 gallon tank, with pretty mellow fish like clowns and gobies. About two weeks ago, I rearranged the tank and added some arches and a wave maker. I also added a clown goby, a wheelers, a few leather corals and a torch.

Ever since, she has been hiding in between rocks, pacing frantically, and swimming back and forth against the glass. She rarely comes out anymore and hasn’t been eating brine shrimp or flakes. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before or knows maybe what might be going on. I don’t feel that she’s big enough yet that she’s outgrown the tank, but that’s really all I can think of.

I appreciate any help, I would hate to see her go! Thanks in advance!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,welcome to the reef
pics or short video can help the experts.
#fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone!

My hippo tang has been acting strange recently. I’ve had her for close to two years, and I purchased her as a young fish. I have a 75 gallon tank, with pretty mellow fish like clowns and gobies. About two weeks ago, I rearranged the tank and added some arches and a wave maker. I also added a clown goby, a wheelers, a few leather corals and a torch.

Ever since, she has been hiding in between rocks, pacing frantically, and swimming back and forth against the glass. She rarely comes out anymore and hasn’t been eating brine shrimp or flakes. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before or knows maybe what might be going on. I don’t feel that she’s big enough yet that she’s outgrown the tank, but that’s really all I can think of.

I appreciate any help, I would hate to see her go! Thanks in advance!!
Brine shrimp and flakes are a very inadequate diet. Add nori seaweed, LRS herbivore diet, small plankton, mysis shrimp and Hikari marine cuisine.
Sounds like an irritant such as flukes.
Any pics of the fish under white lighting to assess what it may be ?

OP
OP
kategoebel

kategoebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,welcome to the reef
pics or short video can help the experts.
#fishmedic
D67F8777-D8EE-4CC6-8EA1-AE3609D7764F.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C7DFCA9-9420-44FE-B025-B9A6A25893DA.jpeg
    9C7DFCA9-9420-44FE-B025-B9A6A25893DA.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 57

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible it's still freaked out from the rearranging but two weeks should be enough time to settle down. It's also possible one of the new fish brought in a disease. Hard to tell without a really good, close up picture of the fish which is obviously difficult, especially when they are skiddish.

I'd start with improving it's diet. Hippo tangs are omnivores, try seaweed and mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
kategoebel

kategoebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible it's still freaked out from the rearranging but two weeks should be enough time to settle down. It's also possible one of the new fish brought in a disease. Hard to tell without a really good, close up picture of the fish which is obviously difficult, especially when they are skiddish.

I'd start with improving it's diet. Hippo tangs are omnivores, try seaweed and mysis shrimp.
Thanks so much, I will definitely try to get a good picture asap.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back