Hippo tang acting strange

kategoebel

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2022
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Location
missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

My hippo tang has been acting strange recently. I’ve had her for close to two years, and I purchased her as a young fish. I have a 75 gallon tank, with pretty mellow fish like clowns and gobies. About two weeks ago, I rearranged the tank and added some arches and a wave maker. I also added a clown goby, a wheelers, a few leather corals and a torch.

Ever since, she has been hiding in between rocks, pacing frantically, and swimming back and forth against the glass. She rarely comes out anymore and hasn’t been eating brine shrimp or flakes. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before or knows maybe what might be going on. I don’t feel that she’s big enough yet that she’s outgrown the tank, but that’s really all I can think of.

I appreciate any help, I would hate to see her go! Thanks in advance!!
 
Hi everyone!

My hippo tang has been acting strange recently. I’ve had her for close to two years, and I purchased her as a young fish. I have a 75 gallon tank, with pretty mellow fish like clowns and gobies. About two weeks ago, I rearranged the tank and added some arches and a wave maker. I also added a clown goby, a wheelers, a few leather corals and a torch.

Ever since, she has been hiding in between rocks, pacing frantically, and swimming back and forth against the glass. She rarely comes out anymore and hasn’t been eating brine shrimp or flakes. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before or knows maybe what might be going on. I don’t feel that she’s big enough yet that she’s outgrown the tank, but that’s really all I can think of.

I appreciate any help, I would hate to see her go! Thanks in advance!!
Brine shrimp and flakes are a very inadequate diet. Add nori seaweed, LRS herbivore diet, small plankton, mysis shrimp and Hikari marine cuisine.
Sounds like an irritant such as flukes.
Any pics of the fish under white lighting to assess what it may be ?
 
D67F8777-D8EE-4CC6-8EA1-AE3609D7764F.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 9C7DFCA9-9420-44FE-B025-B9A6A25893DA.jpeg
    9C7DFCA9-9420-44FE-B025-B9A6A25893DA.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 96
It's possible it's still freaked out from the rearranging but two weeks should be enough time to settle down. It's also possible one of the new fish brought in a disease. Hard to tell without a really good, close up picture of the fish which is obviously difficult, especially when they are skiddish.

I'd start with improving it's diet. Hippo tangs are omnivores, try seaweed and mysis shrimp.
 
It's possible it's still freaked out from the rearranging but two weeks should be enough time to settle down. It's also possible one of the new fish brought in a disease. Hard to tell without a really good, close up picture of the fish which is obviously difficult, especially when they are skiddish.

I'd start with improving it's diet. Hippo tangs are omnivores, try seaweed and mysis shrimp.
Thanks so much, I will definitely try to get a good picture asap.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new