Hippo tang isn't eating and seems sick. Any help please?

femmefishnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a blue tang that was swimming, eating and happy as can be. The we brought home a porcupine puffer and from there it seems the tang seems to have changed.

He doesn't swim and hangs out on the ground hiding. He's also stopped eating and now seems to have trouble swimming. His nose is to the ground and floats like that.

Put him in a quarantine for now so I can try to feed him separately.

Any help is much appreciated. Attaching a video and some photos
1691884860108.jpg 1691884860241.jpg 1691884860308.jpg

Attachments

• 2023_08_12 20_04.mp4
    34.6 MB
Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This puffer needs a large tank say north of 120, excellent filtration and is known to nip at fins of others.

I think I’m seeing tattered fins in the stills, the video I dont see.

Will for sure, eat inverts.

Stop eating can be many things, harassment, fighting, maybe parasite infestation, keep close watch.

Last edited:

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank seems very new. Pls talk about when it was set up, what you did to know the tank is ready, & what ammonia, ph, & salinity of your water are.

Blue tang needs a PVC to hide. He also looks to have a pinched stomach. What do you feed them besides algae? What QT treatments have you fish gone through?

You have three clownfish that appear to be about the same size. Do they not fight?

OP
OP
femmefishnewb

femmefishnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate is around 20 ppm - 40 ppm. The tank has been cycled and running for about 6 months now. They all came around same size but the 2 black got much bigger and one of them sometimes picks on the orange one but that has gotten better. I also have a good number of rocks with hiding places on the other side so tang seems to have his place outside on the display tank. I haven't done any treatments on the fish yet. I just put him in the net tank to see if I can feed him separately
Your tank seems very new. Pls talk about when it was set up, what you did to know the tank is ready, & what ammonia, ph, & salinity of your water are.

Blue tang needs a PVC to hide. He also looks to have a pinched stomach. What do you feed them besides algae? What QT treatments have you fish gone through?

You have three clownfish that appear to be about the same size. Do they not fight?

OP
OP
femmefishnewb

femmefishnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate is around 20 ppm - 40 ppm. The tank has been cycled and running for about 6 months now. They all came around same size but the 2 black got much bigger and one of them sometimes picks on the orange one but that has gotten better. I also have a good number of rocks with hiding places on the other side so tang seems to have his place outside on the display tank. I haven't done any treatments on the fish yet. I just put him in the net tank to see if I can feed him separately
Also feed it mysis shrimp, spiraling, and seaweed

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also feed it mysis shrimp, spiraling, and seaweed
Suggest to get a 10G tank from your LFS or petco to setup a proper QT for him. What u got now isn’t a QT. Too small and it’s just all bare without anything for him to hide and feel safe. It’s also easier to observe if he has any other odd symptoms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a blue tang that was swimming, eating and happy as can be. The we brought home a porcupine puffer and from there it seems the tang seems to have changed.

He doesn't swim and hangs out on the ground hiding. He's also stopped eating and now seems to have trouble swimming. His nose is to the ground and floats like that.

Put him in a quarantine for now so I can try to feed him separately.

Any help is much appreciated. Attaching a video and some photos
1691884860108.jpg 1691884860241.jpg 1691884860308.jpg
In the video, the tang is trying to eat the nori, what else are you offering it?
Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back