Hippo tang spots

josaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang has been with us about 2 years. Added things to tank after moving it and the tang developed something. I have given it a fresh water bath and also using garlic in food but the maybe flukes came off but today might be coming back.
9DFB7643-7F52-4EAA-81C3-31264C73A1B6.jpeg

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving it stressed him out, and when you added stuff to the tank maybe it messed with his immunity and allowed ich to show up. He deff doesn’t look happy and wants to swim more.

Upvote 0

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE and either ich, velvet, or flukes. The HLLE could be caused by any carbon in the filtration, or by an insufficient diet. Try feeding nori soaked in selcon or garlic to fix the diet. Take the fish out of the tank and put it into a quarantine tank, then medicate the water for the illness. The fish likely got its illness due to stress, which could be from outgrowing a small tank. Hippo tangs need a 5-6 foot tank to stay healthy in the long run. In a smaller space, it will get stressed and therefore be much more vulnerable to disease. I hope that this helps!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

josaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE and either ich, velvet, or flukes. The HLLE could be caused by any carbon in the filtration, or by an insufficient diet. Try feeding nori soaked in selcon or garlic to fix the diet. Take the fish out of the tank and put it into a quarantine tank, then medicate the water for the illness. The fish likely got its illness due to stress, which could be from outgrowing a small tank. Hippo tangs need a 5-6 foot tank to stay healthy in the long run. In a smaller space, it will get stressed and therefore be much more vulnerable to disease. I hope that this helps!
I got it when very small. I feed 3 times a day. Dry twice then reef frenzy with garlic which just got in the garlic.
I planned to take back to the fish store when got to big. The move we built house and son cared for the tank at his house for 9 months.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

josaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added carbon to filter two days ago. I have UV filter that put back on tank last week. I do 5 gallon water changes about every 9 days.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This fish is displaying ich and will need to be treated in a separate quarantine setting. A 10gal starter kit from walmart is sufficient and only requires 22" of space
Treat using coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 at 80 degrees for a Full 30 days while leaving your display tank fishless (FALLOW) for 45-60 days.
Monitor copper levels using a reliable copper test kit (no api brand either) Monitor ammonia levels during treatment and add aeration if possible

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back