Hippo tang symptoms

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use the cupramine I have or go pickup some coppersafe?

I personally prefer Coppersafe, but Cupramine works too if you maintain 0.5 mg/L for 30 days. I think many Cupramine failures are due to people skirting the minimum therapeutic level too closely. 0.5 gives you some wiggle room in case it suddenly drops.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer Coppersafe, but Cupramine works too if you maintain 0.5 mg/L for 30 days. I think many Cupramine failures are due to people skirting the minimum therapeutic level too closely. 0.5 gives you some wiggle room in case it suddenly drops.

I picked up some coppersafe and started treatment. I don't see much change.

I picked up an API test since it's the only one I found locally and it says I'm right over .5 mg/l.

Should i just leave that alone?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I picked up an API test since it's the only one I found locally and it says I'm right over .5 mg/l.

Coppersafe has a therapeutic level of 2ppm. You'll need to raise it up.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, so if the recommended dose on the bottle put me at .07, then I should do at least another full dose?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so if the recommended dose on the bottle put me at .07, then I should do at least another full dose?

You need to add copper to the tank slowly and test each time before and after until you get to 2ppm. Then hold it there for 30 days.

Butitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to this when i started to this hobby five years ago, I have same mates of fishes as you do. When tangs and clowns together in a poor unstable water parameters this always happened, ether one will start the problem. I used Paraguard from Seachem (www.seachem.com/paraguard.php) works great for me without harmful effect on my inverts and some corals that i have those days.
Just follow the instruction and do a 20% water change every three days until everything back to normal. Run a UV sterilizer to kill the free floating parasites at the same time. Taking care two or more hippo tangs needs a huge filtration system to keep them healthy, then adding a cleaner shimp will help them a lot. Hippo tangs always hungry and poop like a duck, they will nip on soft corals when nothing to eat. i feed mine 4X a day.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to this when i started to this hobby five years ago, I have same mates of fishes as you do. When tangs and clowns together in a poor unstable water parameters this always happened, ether one will start the problem. I used Paraguard from Seachem (www.seachem.com/paraguard.php) works great for me without harmful effect on my inverts and some corals that i have those days.
Just follow the instruction and do a 20% water change every three days until everything back to normal. Run a UV sterilizer to kill the free floating parasites at the same time. Taking care two or more hippo tangs needs a huge filtration system to keep them healthy, then adding a cleaner shimp will help them a lot. Hippo tangs always hungry and poop like a duck, they will nip on soft corals when nothing to eat. i feed mine 4X a day.

I was doing paraguard on the original QT before all of those happened. It clearly got through.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm testing copper levels with a Salifert and API and getting different readings... which should I trust?

Also, my yellow Tang has developed Popeye. Can I dose anti bacterial along with the coppersafe?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm testing copper levels with a Salifert and API and getting different readings... which should I trust?

When dosing Coppersafe, use the API test kit.

Also, my yellow Tang has developed Popeye. Can I dose anti bacterial along with the coppersafe?

You can dose antibiotics in conjunction w/Coppersafe.

But is the Popeye in one eye or both?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the bacterial treatment, he was dead this morning... :/

Sorry to hear this. :( Bacterial infections often need to be caught early on in order for treatment to be effective.

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... still think it's Velvet?

361246977902391b71f3077072ab8e7d.jpg

1a747f5aeeae3eb56e3d9657c0625f7b.jpg

He's been in Copper for like 3 weeks?!

7266f6d24b74bb836bd35e6a19e2bb30.jpg

@Humblefish
@aykwm

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Humblefish
@aykwm
The earlier photos were almost certainly velvet. That is ich on the fish, potentially velvet as well if I look closely.

I would get another test kit, something is amiss!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Humblefish
@aykwm

Be sure to look read the test from the top, not the side. That looks like a combination of ich and velvet almost. Though, I'm still certain velvet is in play here.

If it's still there, then we have to look at your QT practices. When you do a water change are you adding copper the new water before adding it to the QT? Have you used any equipment at all in other tanks and this one? Even just a turkey baster or spoon when feeding? Wet hands going from one tank to another? Is this tank within 10 feet of any other tanks?

OP
OP
juicemanatx

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to look read the test from the top, not the side. That looks like a combination of ich and velvet almost. Though, I'm still certain velvet is in play here.

If it's still there, then we have to look at your QT practices. When you do a water change are you adding copper the new water before adding it to the QT? Have you used any equipment at all in other tanks and this one? Even just a turkey baster or spoon when feeding? Wet hands going from one tank to another? Is this tank within 10 feet of any other tanks?

The food I use I've just been pouring in. It never touches a tank.

It is within 10 ft of other tanks

All tanks have Tops.

I haven't done a water change on this tank as it's always shown safe on then ammonia meter.

All the fish were together about a week ago during a rally dip since some of them were being moved to a tank being treated with CP.

This Hippo is the only one in Copper now.

The fish in CP show no signs of Ich or Velvet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back