Hippo with bite marks/possible infection

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tang I ordered offline came in like this, any idea if this is aggression marks that will heal or a bacterial infection? It’s affecting her top fin and mouth but nowhere else on the body.

5A5D526B-CFCF-455D-B0B0-F87C11B90D1D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hippo tang I ordered offline came in like this, any idea if this is aggression marks that will heal or a bacterial infection? It’s affecting her top fin and mouth but nowhere else on the body.

5A5D526B-CFCF-455D-B0B0-F87C11B90D1D.jpeg
fish appears to be shipped in this condition. How did you acclimate it and for how long?
In quarantine , treat with seachem Kanaplex for 5-7 days assuring good water quality and salinity at 1.024-1.025

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish appears to be shipped in this condition. How did you acclimate it and for how long?
In quarantine , treat with seachem Kanaplex for 5-7 days assuring good water quality and salinity at 1.024-1.025
It was shipped in this condition, water quality is zero ammonia 10> nitrates 1.023 salinity temp 79 Fahrenheit running a aqua sterilizer aswell, when I treat with the kanaplex do I add to food or water? Need to remove filters?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It was shipped in this condition, water quality is zero ammonia 10> nitrates 1.023 salinity temp 79 Fahrenheit running a aqua sterilizer aswell, when I treat with the kanaplex do I add to food or water? Need to remove filters?
Kanaplex- remove carbon
Bring salinity up slightly AND what test kit for ammonia and nitrate

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex- remove carbon
Bring salinity up slightly AND what test kit for ammonia and nitrate
Serra master test kit, it’s not a reef tank fish only tank so I don’t test for anything reef related besides phosphate, is uv okay to run with it dosed?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Serra master test kit, it’s not a reef tank fish only tank so I don’t test for anything reef related besides phosphate, is uv okay to run with it dosed?
UV yes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will 1.023 salinity affect the meds negatively ? Sorry for questions first time using this med I bought it awhile ago when making a meds cabinet for my tanks, never used it.
Is the fish eating o.k.? That is a good indication as to if it will survive this issue or not.

Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish eating o.k.? That is a good indication as to if it will survive this issue or not.

Jay
Any advice on what I can feed to entice him to eat? I’ve got a lot at my disposal to try, don’t wanna over feed though, he nipped at angel/butterfly cube of frozen but spit it out refused pellets and flakes I can try brine mysis zooplankton etc also won’t touch nori but nipples at my dragons breath algae.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not buy from that vendor again. That is why I buy from LFS as I see what I get.
All the other fish I bought were of a very impressive health besides this one, which I got on clearance for $19. I am thinking saltwater fish.com puts sick/poor health/low quality fish on clearance and markets it as a “wow if u spend $300 u get this crazy expensive fish for $20” kind of thing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on what I can feed to entice him to eat? I’ve got a lot at my disposal to try, don’t wanna over feed though, he nipped at angel/butterfly cube of frozen but spit it out refused pellets and flakes I can try brine mysis zooplankton etc also won’t touch nori but nipples at my dragons breath algae.
Over feeding in the hopes to get a fish to eat is an issue as that can pollute the water. Another issue can be if you get up close to the tank to see if the fish is eating, but that frightens it and makes it shy away. Always remove uneaten food from the tank within a few hours. Live baby brine shrimp would be a good choice, but tough to do. Frozen brine shrimp is a second choice, but just to get it feeding, as this is not a good diet overall.

Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over feeding in the hopes to get a fish to eat is an issue as that can pollute the water. Another issue can be if you get up close to the tank to see if the fish is eating, but that frightens it and makes it shy away. Always remove uneaten food from the tank within a few hours. Live baby brine shrimp would be a good choice, but tough to do. Frozen brine shrimp is a second choice, but just to get it feeding, as this is not a good diet overall.

Jay
Okay I also have mysis aswell as brine if u think mysis would be better to try? I’m gonna go ahead and try to feed brine in about 5 hours and see if she eats. Would you recommend mixing the brine with a vitamin that’s garlic based to increase appetite ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back