hired gun

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is scooter.... he's a hired gun from my LFS...after cleaning all the pod's from the sandbed of my frag tank he moved to the plugs on the racks.... he's doing such a good job i'm afraid i'll be taking he back sooner than anticipated.

things2_032.jpg

OP
OP
vetteman

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ole 143gadgets got me worked up over the dragon pipefish....thinking that would be great to rid my frag tank of pods.... since I don't feed the tank y'all got me worried about just what them pods are eating... but I just didn't want to have something else to worry about feeding.... anyway scooter get's a vacation and a buffet and then he's back to the LFS

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to keep him JIC, ya, never know when FW can pop up, and he shouldn't be that hard to catch him if you but him in your display? They are like a boxer pupy so cute ya can't not love 'em.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be trained to eat frozen, I had a mandarin for 6 years and 5 of those he was eating frozen. I have a trick for ya if you want to know about it if you decide to keep it....

OP
OP
vetteman

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well he's ate everything live in the frag tank and I've been feeding him emerald entree..it has mysis and brine along with the algae and he eats it up ..... now do I take him back or keep him...... I never planned on keeping anything but frags in the tank and really did not want any outside food, just clean water and light....

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im prety sure he is gonna need to eat more than just frozen mysis to stay alive-you should soak the frozen mysis in an enrichment before feeding it out for long term health.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We I didn't realize that it was in a tank all by itself, so the trick isn't needed.I had a Mandarin, but this should work for a scooter as well....

I had one for 6 years and 5 1/2 of those years was fed mysis and cyclop-ezee only with no supplementation. I will tell you the trick for tanks that have other fish in them....This is just to make sure that the fish will get enough to eat with other fish around.

Go and by a small capers bottle, they are about an 1 1/2'' round and about 3 inches tall. I don't eat capers so I tossed them away. Once it's cleaned you can then use the jar.

Once the Mandarin/Scooter begins to eat frozen mysis or is showing some interest in it, take some tank water fill the jar up add mysis. Attach a string to the jar so you can lower it into the tank and have it rest on the bottom of the tank. I usually put it by where I seen him hanging out the most. What this does is the mysis that is in the jar cannot be eaten by other fish because the jar is to small for other fish to swim into it.

The Mandarin/scooter will eventually start swimming into the jar to get the food. They become very comfortable with it after a few time of doing it. This allows the Mandarin/scooter to eat as much as he wants for as long as he wants. I usually left it in there for a few hours then pulled the jar up out of the tank and discarded what was left if there was any.

They( My Mandarin) are very shy when it comes to feeding with super active fish around and they are not that fast as well. In the 6 years I had the fish it never once had a skinny stomach and this was in a tank with a tang, clowns, Black cap basslet and a few other goby type fish.....It really worked well for the Mandarin and he always new once the jar was lowered into the tank what that meant......Nothing to tricky but very effective in tanks with other active feeders.

It ended up dying from intestinal blockage from what I could gather by looking at it.....It ended up towards the end getting a super bloated belly for about 3 weeks. the over-sized belly disappeared and a few days later I found him at the bottom of the tank when the lights came on.....He was one of my favorite fish of all time. He would eat mysis from my hand and had no fear of me when I was doing maintenance......I say keep it or add it to you main tank if you think you might want to keep it. They are very cool and rewarding fish to keep, once you get them on frozen food...

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back