Hitchhiker Clams

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kasrift
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kasrift

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2022
Messages
16,878
Reaction score
30,269
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What are the chances of a hitchhiker clam on a coral being one of the pretty ones? I currently have 4 hitchhiker clams on four different corals that I've bought over the last year from wild shipments from AquaSD.

One of them killed the hammer frag it was on, I wasn't sure if it was the movement or it releasing boring acid of however they dig in. I placed zoas on it so now it has some friends, but just curious on the chances they are maxima type clams? You can see the mantle on this one zoa piece in the front.
P_20230202_191846.jpg
 
Very cool hitchhiker! Looks like Spondylus, aka thorny/spiny oyster from the pic, which are actually more closely related to scallops than oysters. They are non photosynthetic, so dosing photo and/or particulate foods like reef roids will help keep them alive long term (I have at least 3 that came in as tiny hitchhikers on some LR a couple years ago, and are still around and growing).
 
What are the chances of a hitchhiker clam on a coral being one of the pretty ones? I currently have 4 hitchhiker clams on four different corals that I've bought over the last year from wild shipments from AquaSD.

One of them killed the hammer frag it was on, I wasn't sure if it was the movement or it releasing boring acid of however they dig in. I placed zoas on it so now it has some friends, but just curious on the chances they are maxima type clams? You can see the mantle on this one zoa piece in the front.
P_20230202_191846.jpg
Looks like bi-valve which is a filter feeder and not very long lived and often referred to as a clam but related more to scallop grouping
 
Thanks. I've had it since May last year. I culture phyto and dose it, and it has grown. I guess I was curious if it was a baby tridacna since their baby stage has these flukes off the front like in this image https://www.frontiersin.org/files/A...3761-HTML-r1/image_m/fmars-08-633761-g001.jpg

I know people aquaculture tridacna, but there aren't very many photos of them in their young states. I'll have to get photos of the other hitchhikers since they are very different shaped compared to this one.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new