Hitchhiker Shrimp ID Help

kkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy came in with some macro-algae, I've been trying to ID him but haven't had much luck, any help is appreciated! Thank you!

IMG_6613.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 8.51.26 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 8.51.06 AM.png

OP
OP
kkid

kkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo shrimp! It kinda reminds me of those “sexy shrimp” but I have no idea

Haha, I 100% believe it is closely related to thor or thorella sp., It's body is very similar to a sexy shrimp minus the spots, coloration is pinkish

OP
OP
kkid

kkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It look like a relative of the sexy shrimp. I would get it out the tank. I didn't trust anything I dont know with my corals
I'm not a very cautious person, I didn't quarantine anything in this tank and regularly throw stuff in from the ocean, there is probably a lot more unwanted things than this shrimp haha.

Either way, I don't think I'd be able to find him very easily, last night was the first time seeing it a week after adding the new macros I grabbed from the beach.

All I have are a couple zoas and the rest is all macro algae nothing I'm too worried about!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hippolyte obliquimanusis is a solid guess; kkid - could you get a close-up, straight-on pic of the top of the shrimp showing the whole shrimp? Being able to see the finer details that way would be helpful for confirming if that's the species or not.

OP
OP
kkid

kkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hippolyte obliquimanusis is a solid guess; kkid - could you get a close-up, straight-on pic of the top of the shrimp showing the whole shrimp? Being able to see the finer details that way would be helpful for confirming if that's the species or not.

Thank you! I don't know if I have a camera or lens capable of getting a better pic cause hes so small, but I will try next time I spot him!

The coloration is right with that ID'd shrimp but only problem is that shrimp is Atlantic, the shrimp I got was on some macro algae from the beach here in Hawaii. He matches the color of the galaxaura macro I grabbed perfectly, I believe he came in on that.

From seeing it with my eyes, the closest match body wise and eye color is the sexy shrimp, it even wiggles back and forth like one. It's honestly possible that the species just hasn't been documented yet. The first picture here is close, but not quite right (if the body and tail was solid pink it would be almost spot on), probably very closely related: http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/inverts/shrimps/neatshrimps.htm.

Thank you, I appreciate everyone's help!

Last edited:

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any marine centers near you? You could call up and see if you can bring it in for ID.

In case it's a new Thor subspecies, see about naming it Thor barbie? I mean.. it's pink.. and there already is a Thor dicaprio.. might as well continue the name games.

OP
OP
kkid

kkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any marine centers near you? You could call up and see if you can bring it in for ID.

In case it's a new Thor subspecies, see about naming it Thor barbie? I mean.. it's pink.. and there already is a Thor dicaprio.. might as well continue the name games.

I'll have to look into that and see if I can even catch it!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coloration is right with that ID'd shrimp but only problem is that shrimp is Atlantic, the shrimp I got was on some macro algae from the beach here in Hawaii.
Yeah, I'm not familiar with any shrimp that look like this from Hawaii, so the best I can do is say it's most likely from the taxonomic superfamily Alpheoidea - a Thor species is a solid guess.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back