Hitchiker snail ID

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Could anyone ID this Snail for me? It looks like a nerite but wanted to make sure.

I asked the LFS to include a Snail shell for my hermit with my trochus and it turns out the snail's still alive. Unfortunately, this store doesn't pick up their phone terribly well.

20210329_044419.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Jay

OP
OP
L

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you are lucky to have a saltwater nerite I only have freshwater ones and would love saltwater ones
Don't they all have ability to be acclimated to both? I've done it before with zebra so maybe you can turn your freshwater ones to saltwater

OP
OP
L

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Hermit Crab will have one less home but I emerge victorious with a random nerite

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't they all have ability to be acclimated to both? I've done it before with zebra so maybe you can turn your freshwater ones to saltwater
I hear that is sort of a big question. I guess the Nerites are sort of a large family of species. Some of them are Marine but many more of them are freshwater. At least from what I understand. I dealt with the guy at Reef cleaners and they sent me some Black Nerites that were super healthy and really active very chunky Marine snails and very hungry. So when it comes to the Nerites I think it is best to deal with someone who knows what they talking about because it would be really sad 2 misidentify Marine for freshwater. I know the Virgin species in the black species are solidly Marine. Hope that helps

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that is sort of a big question. I guess the Nerites are sort of a large family of species. Some of them are Marine but many more of them are freshwater. At least from what I understand. I dealt with the guy at Reef cleaners and they sent me some Black Nerites that were super healthy and really active very chunky Marine snails and very hungry. So when it comes to the Nerites I think it is best to deal with someone who knows what they talking about because it would be really sad 2 misidentify Marine for freshwater. I know the Virgin species in the black species are solidly Marine. Hope that helps

Agreed, i dont think it is so cut and dry. Obviously a lot of them are purely marine, I'm not sure if any are completely freshwater as I think all nerite larvae need brackish/salty water. But, the ones that are sold in for freshwater tanks generally come from brackish environments, though they can be acclimated to full salt. I doubt transitioning a full marine nerite, like OP's (or mine) would work out very well.

Overall, seems some nerites are built for brackish/fresh/salt and some are more specialized.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nerite and cerith some of the best workers

OP
OP
L

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, this guy's definitely marine as staying as such. Just hoping it is a guy so I don't see eggs popping

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you are lucky to have a saltwater nerite I only have freshwater ones and would love saltwater ones
Like mentioned, some of the freshwater ones are actually brackish. I too have acclimatised the zebra merite to full saltwater with corals. It actually grew alot compared to its time in the freshwater tank, which I think is due to the hreater availability of calcium and other elements in saltwater. The trick is to get a small tank, a gradually increase the salinity everyweek to not shock the snail.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back