Hitchiker with Zoa

Finnjävel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first corals a while ago. First one was a Duncan and the other one was Zoa. Now I noticed that there was a hitchiker with Zoa. Definitely not a bad one, I guess, but still no idea is it another Zoa or Paly. I don't want any palys, free or not.

What do you think? That brown one with a tiny one.

IMG_20210628_203932.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an aptasia. This has a large disc and you can see the green center. Possibly a young captain jerk (still very invasive and is one of the dominant corals in my tank for that reason).

OP
OP
Finnjävel

Finnjävel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answers. Aiptasia was the first thing that I googled. Definitely not that because mine has a disk.

Protopaly, if invasive I might kick it out of my tank. Do you recommend to frag it to separate stone and give it some time or is it possible that it will grow somewhere else in my tank away its current location?

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answers. Aiptasia was the first thing that I googled. Definitely not that because mine has a disk.

Protopaly, if invasive I might kick it out of my tank. Do you recommend to frag it to separate stone and give it some time or is it possible that it will grow somewhere else in my tank away its current location?
They’re not as invasive as some zoas can be, but individuals CAN/WILL detach from rock and “float” to another area of the tank… I have nuclear green protos that do this, but they’re gorgeous and super flourescent so I don’t mind… they’re nowhere close to being as bad as say Mohawk or Pandora zoas, Xenia, Kenya trees, etc. that can take over a tank. I say let them be and go with the real reef look of them coexisting together

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a young green implosion to me...but it's tough to tell with the lighting

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! As others have said, that’s a paly. Probably a nuclear green paly. Very simple to remove with a razor blade :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also make it retract and cover with superglue gel, if the razor blade option worries you. It will not hurt the other zoas, as long as you do not cover the actual polyp. Getting it on their stalk is ok.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back