HOB filter as a refugium??

Bowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used a hob filter as a refugium. I have a 20 gal sump that has a very small section for my refugium currently. I have it filled with rubble rock and chaeto. My display is 90gal and I want a larger refugium for more macro algae and pod cultivation. I am considering eventually getting a Mandarin and want to maximize my pod population far ahead of time. I have an Emperor 400 that was used on my system before I added my skimmer. Now it is just hanging unused on the back of my display until I decide if it would be a benefit as a fuge. I even considered growing mangroves in it but not sure about that route. I'm wondering if it in addition to the fuge in my sump would benefit and if I need to do anything to prep it for this purpose? Or would I be better off just buying a hob refugium? Any suggestions or ideas anyone?

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a common mod done on aquaclear hob filters. Works well of you use a large enough filter

OP
OP
Bowin

Bowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emperor hob is huge. Any idea of what mod needs to be done?

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people take the bio wheels out, take all the media out and add a light and some macro algae.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back