HOB filters

nicksreef69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i am using a tank for my reef which came with an extra heater and filter both are topfin brand. I already have a much better filter and heater for my tank. Will it cause any harm to use the top fin filter and heaters too or are these going to cause problems. I’m also thinking of putting both heaters in together in case one of them fails. Are these topfin products saltwater safe?

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Hi there. I don't know how big your tank is, but lots of folks use 2 heaters in case one fails or just keep an extra heater or 3 for emergencies. Same with the filter. An extra filter won't do any harm as long as you don't let a lot of junk build up in it. It's just more agitation for the water which is good for oxygenation. But you don't necessarily need it. Most of us keep lots of spare things around "just in case."

Mudder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor (2).gif

Welcome to R2R!!
This is a Great place for info and Help

It never hurts to have back ups.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using a HOB filter you need to make sure you clean it regularly with your weekly water changes or they will become a nitrate factory, which in not a good thing. Depending of what size it is, you can replace the cartridge filters with bio balls, matrix, or those ceramic medias, and then filter floss on top of that. Then you can easily change the floss more often if needed. They do make great filtration for a quarantine tank!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Let's see some tank pics!

Regarding your equipment, many people use multiple heaters. The only risk is that if one fails and gets stuck on you're twice as likely to cook your fish in the case of such an error. That said, this is NOT a common occurrence, so 2X the risk of .0001%? Who knows.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Starfish.gif

As you are already finding out, this is a great community!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so i am using a tank for my reef which came with an extra heater and filter both are topfin brand. I already have a much better filter and heater for my tank. Will it cause any harm to use the top fin filter and heaters too or are these going to cause problems. I’m also thinking of putting both heaters in together in case one of them fails. Are these topfin products saltwater safe?
Buy the best you can afford. You Want reliability when it comes to Saltwater. An HOB with skimmer unit will serve you well until you expand your equipment. Visit the Many chat rooms and forums !!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back