Hob overflow

anthony blake

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2024
Messages
37
Reaction score
33
Location
united states
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all , good morning,

I am officially ready to put my hang on the back overflow underneath my 40 gallon breeder tank. I was wondering if my filtration will help lower my nitrates and phosphate which occur at 35 for nitrate and .18 for phosphate.

I am running a hang on the back, Aqua max bullet, then running a hob pf 300 overflow box draining into a 20 gallon long sump,filter floss in the first part of the sump, a bio pellet reactor in the first chamber of the 20 gallon long sump, 6 gallons of a refugium in the next chamber, then some filter fiber, chemo pure blue and a sponge before the water will return to the tank. Anybody have other filtration methods in the sump? Is there anything I should add more? Lastly experience with a pf300 hob overflow from eshopps?

Thank you all have a great day!
 
If you're asking if it will remove nutrients - yes, it will. Only if you clean things that will collect detritus.
Yes i will, I’ll have more space to clean the sump than a canister, thank you for the response!
 
Hey all , good morning,

I am officially ready to put my hang on the back overflow underneath my 40 gallon breeder tank. I was wondering if my filtration will help lower my nitrates and phosphate which occur at 35 for nitrate and .18 for phosphate.

I am running a hang on the back, Aqua max bullet, then running a hob pf 300 overflow box draining into a 20 gallon long sump,filter floss in the first part of the sump, a bio pellet reactor in the first chamber of the 20 gallon long sump, 6 gallons of a refugium in the next chamber, then some filter fiber, chemo pure blue and a sponge before the water will return to the tank. Anybody have other filtration methods in the sump? Is there anything I should add more? Lastly experience with a pf300 hob overflow from eshopps?

Thank you all have a great day!
I am actually thinking of doing this exact type of thing. I just made a post about something similar Here is link How has the sump been and any issues with the Overflow? and what return pump are you using?
 
I am actually thinking of doing this exact type of thing. I just made a post about something similar Here is link How has the sump been and any issues with the Overflow? and what return pump are you using?
I am using a sicce 2.0 return pump, the sump has been going strong my nitrates have dropped from 35 to 20. The only issue I have is the HOB overflow sometimes loses the rate of the drain, causing the water level to drop in the sump. The only thing I would suggest is an aqua lifter to keep the flow constant in the HOB overflow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new