HoB Refugium

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon predator tank, and as such, I get fairly high nitrates, and need a way to bring them down without very frequent water changes, and I hear a refugium is the way to go.

My tank is not drilled for a sump, so I have to go for a HoB style, which will also help with circulation/oxygenation so I won't complain.

Anyways, my plan is to use an Aquaclear 70 with some live rock rubble, macro algae and copepods.

My Questions
Does anyone see any issues with this setup?

Where does a person source macro algae and whatnot? I assume they don't just materialize in the water.

What about lighting? Will my two lights hanging 18" over the tank provide enough light, or will I need a separate, smaller light specifically for the refugium, and if so, what is a good, yet inexpensive model?

Are there any other passive ways to keep nitrates in check?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this long post.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into an algea scrubber or cheato reactor. Both are more efficient. I have a hang on refuguim and at first it couldnt sustain algea cause there wasnt enough flow. so i added a small wave maker and now its working ok but i feel its not very efficient for the size and needs to be cleaned often. Probably going to change it out at some point.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read up on those, most of them seem rather expensive and/or bulky. I've got a rather limited amount of space to work with.

As long as it works, I'm not overly concerned about efficiency, does yours do the job of controlling nitrates?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it on to help with phosphates. Ive never had a nitrate problem. And it does help but not to the extent i was hoping, i think its just too small. A cheato reactor takes up the least space of all the options. If your space limited i would go that route.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size/flow rate of pump were you using for it? Thinking if that's the issue I can just use a larger HoB filter.

I've done some reading on both systems, refugium and chaeto reactor, and I don't see much of a difference between the two?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the supplied pump that came with it. The reactor is just a contained refugium but you can put it anywhere which is the benefit.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back