HOB Skimmer please

Kalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this question has been answer a lot but I couldn’t find a good rec. so the question is what HOB skimmer do y’all recommend for 55 gal FOWLR no sump. I’ve been looking at the esshops 75 but before I buy it I just wanted to see y’alls opinion. Budget is 100$ to 150$

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love the Aquaclear series, I run them on both my DT and QT. They have a great setup for media that is easily removed for cleaning and change out. As far as size goes, I was instructed by many people on here to double the size of your tank for the model. Check out the Aquaclear 110 on Amazon. Make sure you check the unit size, as they are quite large to make room for the extra media. Both of mine are really quiet too.

AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000260FV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_rF-VBbQWH5FV7

OP
OP
Kalin

Kalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was referring to protein skimmers but thanks for the info I’ll keep it in mind next time I need to buy a hob filter for my freshwater tanks

OP
OP
Kalin

Kalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no problem but will for sure use your advice on the next filter I buy

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the CPR Backpak skimmer on my non-reef ready 29 gallon and it worked well. Their pre-skimmer attachment will make it skim from the surface so you can get rid of the surface film at the same time.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this question has been answer a lot but I couldn’t find a good rec. so the question is what HOB skimmer do y’all recommend for 55 gal FOWLR no sump. I’ve been looking at the esshops 75 but before I buy it I just wanted to see y’alls opinion. Budget is 100$ to 150$

I used the Reef Octopus HOB skimmer in my 75 gallon [hung on the side of the sump] and it performed very well. I also really liked my Aquamaxx In-sump skimmer and would bet that their HOB is great as well.

Saltybuckeye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second the aquamaxx hob skimmer. I’ve had mine for a few years and is very consistent. Might be a little over budget unless you can find a used one.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Eshopps is a work horse, maybe the best skimmer I've ever used, even comparing with other in sump varieties. This skimmer may be designed a bit different from other hobs, but I have heard many report that hobs are loud either way. Here's the mod that make this skimmer dead quiet. A pill bottle with hole drill underneath to snugly slide over the standpipe, with a small hole drilled into the top for air. Just a makeshift silencer you find on the in sump designs.

IMG_20161009_201719.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back