Hobbyist due diligence

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Idk if it’s me or does the same question about new systems, their development through the various cycles, system #s ( chasing that dragon), the system looks, algae issues and remedies seem to be asked over and over? I know the hobby can seem vast w lots of information, some of it conflicting, overwhelming at times, but I think the onus has to fall on the hobbyist to do the research on the type of system they wish to keep. Pick a method. Stick with it. Test. Note the good and bad. Algae happens. Questions are always welcome and further this great hobby but the same ones?… It’s just finding that balance sealed w a k.i.s.s. Oh…there is also the search function. Just sayin. Happy Reefing.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made this point before, but Rev set me straight.

While this is true we also value new questions as a forum even if the topic has been discussed. It helps foster new discussion, educates others who may have not been looking for this specific answer, and also serves as a way for new people to make their first post or thread. :)

OP
OP
HudsonReefer2.0

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Questions and discussions are always welcome and it’s what furthers us a community. My post wasn’t to shut down any dialogue or communication. From my exp back in 2000-03. We didn’t have the platforms as
Today. So a lot had to b done w books, papers, 1st hand exp w fellow
Reef keepers etc. I just scratch my head, the lmgtfy seems more common.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have an issue that needs to be dealt with, I may look up other posts with a similar problem (or I may not).

At any rate, there’s always some existing variable in my situation that sets it apart from everyone else. I think we all could say that. I usually feel that it’s important to present my issue as it pertains to my set-up, as my unique set-up may be the deciding factor in someone’s answer to my particular question

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions and discussions are always welcome and it’s what furthers us a community. My post wasn’t to shut down any dialogue or communication. From my exp back in 2000-03. We didn’t have the platforms as
Today. So a lot had to b done w books, papers, 1st hand exp w fellow
Reef keepers etc. I just scratch my head, the lmgtfy seems more common.
We can say that about everything…yeah back in the 90s I had to stop at a pay phone to make a call. This is 2023 and I don’t have to do that any more. That’s the way it goes. I honestly think we’d be better off going back to the way things were but we know it’ll never happen

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things change a lot in this hobby - what may have been a best practice a couple years ago is now outdated

As I've spent more time on these forums, I've come to understand which users are experienced and know what they are talking about vs. users who give skeptical advice - can't say the same if I'm reading some material several years old

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think hobbyist are clueless that the information is already out there, I think this is more a human condition of it being better for someone to ask and recieve a personal response.

The problem with this method is that the information gets watered down, and or the wrong information is regurgitated. And it creates searches that have flat out the wrong answers.

To the point of, getting put in our place, I think that hurt the credibility of the information being dealt. If the site is being moderated based on how a message is being delivered vs the credibility of the information, a lot gets lost. People need to be told they're wrong and no matter if it hurts their feelings they need to understand why what the said is wrong.

When you punish someone for being curt, you send a message and prevent anyone else from making corrections in fear of reprisal.

I will say, that lately, there has been an allowance of letting people be corrected. I get corrected all the time, except the difference is that I don't cry foul.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think hobbyist are clueless that the information is already out there, I think this is more a human condition of it being better for someone to ask and recieve a personal response.

The problem with this method is that the information gets watered down, and or the wrong information is regurgitated. And it creates searches that have flat out the wrong answers.

To the point of, getting put in our place, I think that hurt the credibility of the information being dealt. If the site is being moderated based on how a message is being delivered vs the credibility of the information, a lot gets lost. People need to be told they're wrong and no matter if it hurts their feelings they need to understand why what the said is wrong.

When you punish someone for being curt, you send a message and prevent anyone else from making corrections in fear of reprisal.

I will say, that lately, there has been an allowance of letting people be corrected. I get corrected all the time, except the difference is that I don't cry foul.
For sure. If I’m wrong about something I want to know it so I can correct whatever it is…in every aspect of life

OP
OP
HudsonReefer2.0

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We can say that about everything…yeah back in the 90s I had to stop at a pay phone to make a call. This is 2023 and I don’t have to do that any more. That’s the way it goes. I honestly think we’d be better off going back to the way things were but we know it’ll never happen
Wait...I still use the pay phone.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just a generation / social network lifestyle thing and many people would rather just type out a question and have it answered rather than tanking the time looking for the info and making a decision on their own. It a Me thing for those that get it. JMO

OP
OP
HudsonReefer2.0

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having the current right information is a big help to success in this hobby. Yes the tech changed, and way we get in
I think it's just a generation / social network lifestyle thing and many people would rather just type out a question and have it answered rather than tanking the time looking for the info and making a decision on their own. It a Me thing for those that get it. JMO
I was just gonna suggest that generational thing.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many new hobbyist do use the search feature! The search feature tends to organize things based on recent post time, so when there has been enough time between the last question about cycling a tank (days to weeks) the most relevant info could already be pages back.

And then people always have their own way of wanting an answer, because we all have slightly different views of the problem. I think it's our part to try and safeguard against shaming those without the knowledge or initial ability to obtain that knowledge!

I was a newbie in the not so distant past and have learned so much from the individual responses people have given me!

OP
OP
HudsonReefer2.0

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just realized I will have enough in my PP account to get my holy grail of a fish…candy basslet. And I’m getting pretty excited hahaha

Might wait for some Black Friday deals
Mine was Big Gulp, Blotchy ( avatar) ew years back courtesy of TSM. Special fish from their display back in the day.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I will say that this is a tough balance to maintain. I absolutely agree with your point, but the counterpoint is that if we allow people who are being "direct" to be so direct that they are rude/mean in their disposition toward others, that actually runs people out of the community. The foundation of this community is the Golden Rule (treat others the way you want to be treated). That said, we do our best to not moderate whenever possible (and we can admit that we have done better and worse with this at different times over the course of our history). One thing we often do is look at a reported post and ask the question about whether or not the community may have already addressed the issue before we step in as mods. However, in clear cases where the TOS is violated, we are obligated to make an edit/correction. But truly, I do get your point and I appreciate the perspective you are giving on this (and it's something I personally hold in mind as I address things).

To the larger point of this thread, I particularly like this point by the OP:
I know the hobby can seem vast w lots of information, some of it conflicting, overwhelming at times, but I think the onus has to fall on the hobbyist to do the research on the type of system they wish to keep. Pick a method. Stick with it. Test. Note the good and bad.
I agree that ultimately, hobbyists need to develop a reefing philosophy and follow it. I think one of the major problems with new hobbyists in particular is making quick changes to a system. They start with method 1, then jump to method 2 because they read about it, and a month later shift to method 3 because it looks better in online info. Probably any 1 of the 3 methods would've worked, but jumping between methods too quickly has spelled disaster for the young reef, and now the hobbyist is thinking none of these methods work when they all do...there's 1,001 methods for maintaining a healthy thriving reef, but ya gotta pick one and stick with it.

However, I concur with @Cell and @revhtree regarding new threads reasking old questions. I'll also point out that this hobby is constantly evolving and recurring questions all happen on a timeline and with new info and players coming into the hobby continuously, revisiting the same topic a year later isn't a bad thing. Sometimes the info will have changed and sometimes new players will see the same relevant info presented. It is said that we never step into the same river twice (because the water is always moving) and to some degree, I think this is also true about conversations in the hobby.

My .02. Happy reefing!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back