Holding down corals

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about most people but I have a problem with small corals staying put. Especially is you have a type of fish that like to re aquascape.
Yes, you can glue everything in but that makes it hard to move things later if need be.
I like to use lead. I know if fresh water they sell lead strips to wrap around plants to keep them anchored but with reef tanks we don't like using any metals so I cut thin strips of lead and cover them with shrink tubing.
The shrink tubing can be gotten at any Radio Shack or even (I think) Home Depot. The lead I get from a plumbing supply or a scrap metal dealer. It is very cheap.
You can make it as heavy as you like and wrap it around the base of the coral.
You can even make longer strips and bend it around corals and larger rocks to secure them. The shrink tubing is black so you don't really see it.
Now my larger fish have a hard time throwing my nicely positioned corals to the substrait.
Have fun.
Lead and shrink tubing
Copperstrips007.jpg

Finished piece
Copperstrips004.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tip. I know exactly what you're talking about but had never thought about this. How long gave you been doing this, and have you noticed any negative effects?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the heat shrink tubing deteriorate in the saltwater?

Do you seal the ends with anything? It looks like the end of the metal is still able to get wet...

Good idea though!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing this for fifty years but I never used to use shrink tubing. The lead never seemed to bother anything but I like the shrink tubing Idea better than just lead. I can double up on the shrink tubing if it worried me. I don't do anything about the ends but I would imagine silicone would work.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lead is a poison, not as toxic to fish as copper or zinc but it is midly disolvable and you should keep it out of your water, thats why I now use shrink tubing. You could also double up the shrink tubing if it scares you. After the corals grow into the rock or get too large for the fish to move, I can remove this weight.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back