Hole in mantel

1fishkeeper

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
322
Reaction score
173
Location
Puyallup, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking and noticed that my clam has a hole in the mantle of it. I have had this derasa for close to two years now with no issues. Last week I lost by blue squamous out of the blue. I am hoping something in my tank hasn’t taken a liking to clams. I have a purple tang, a pair a perc clowns four blue chromis one yellow chromis and a tomini tang.

IMG_8871.jpeg IMG_8872.jpeg IMG_8873.jpeg
 
Clams should have 2 holes, that's why they're bivalves. In the first picture I believe you're looking at the mouth.
 
I see that. Could be a small nip.
If someone bothers him again he will close for a bit, then, may only open half way or so.
 
Clams should have 2 holes, that's why they're bivalves. In the first picture I believe you're looking at the mouth.
The valves in the name bivalve reference their shells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bivalvia
Bivalvia (/baɪˈvælviə/) or bivalves, in previous centuries referred to as the Lamellibranchiata and Pelecypoda, is a class of aquatic molluscs (marine and freshwater) that have laterally compressed soft bodies enclosed by a calcified exoskeleton consisting of a hinged pair of half-shells known as valves.
 
Sometimes clams will have two exhalent siphons, (rare) also could be a genetic mutation? But looks healthy, so it should be fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new