Holy Grail Corals…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all talk about this thing called “Holy Grail”. Now, in fish we tend to call our main dream fish a holy grail species. But with coral we don’t seem to do that. Instead what seems to happen is the sellers use the name “Holy Grail” to bump up the pricing. Now, the first coral that is often called Holy Grail that comes to my mind is the Tiger Torch. To me, this just looks like a normal morph of a coral that’s old in the hobby. I’ve seen many corals labelled as Holy Grail and one that I love is the Pink Lemonade Acropora. Now I would call this my personal holy grail but this is just because it’s a coral I’ve always wanted.

However, it seems the term holy grail is just thrown onto any new coral in the hobby, whether that’s a Tiger Torch or a Walt Disney Acro. So, what is it that makes a holy grail coral… well, holy grail?
And a follow up question, do you have any coral you consider to be your Holy Grails?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d consider the original ro rising sun chalice a holy grail! There was only one and I think it’s extinct… I had a piece from a group buy and lost contact with the peeps over the years as I took a break..

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original holy grail that I remember was the torch from ASD that took off. It represented the green and yellow colors with blue/purple tips. I purchased one back when it was first available.

Now I have seen allot of vendors use that color pattern as a holy grail this and that to try and increase sales on their item as it looked like the coveted original "Holy Grail". It was just a name at that time then indo frozen up.

Anyway it's like sports now. Everyone is a GOAT. Lol

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for AOTC Torches

Tissot_Moses_and_Joshua_in_the_Tabernacle.jpg

Jeff K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy grail to me is just another term for Expensive In most cases or used to inflate price like the word “rare”. One‘s definition of Holy Grail is certainly different from one person to another.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy grail corals? I’m a simpleton with unrefined taste so I like bright multi-color corals with a lot of movement. Which is why it’s a shame that of all the corals I’ve ever tried the only one that decided that my tank was not good enough to hang around in even briefly was a goniopora. Full bailout within two weeks. May try again someday though.
That may be my holy grail of corals.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are putting too much thought into it lol. Vendors can put whatever name they want on something. If it sticks and becomes popular then that's that no big deal. Sure a WD acro might be someone's "holy grail" in the sense it is something they most long to have.....but it not it's accepted hobby name.

I know many people dislike the fancy names. I get it and to some extent agree. I mean every acro chop shop out there getting the same mariculture acros and naming it 30 different names based off the lighting it in just confuses everything. On the other hand the names can be very useful. If I want to find a holy grail micro for sale I can easily Google it and find what I want for sale in seconds.....same for dozens of other corals with hobby accepted names.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only 1 holy grail its a torch with green/gold stems blue/white/purple tips

EE9133D6-A9F9-48DB-A8AD-543FCA9BE5CE.jpeg

purple holy grail.png

the purple tip is personally my fav and will be getting 1 in january

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only 1 holy grail its a torch with green/gold stems blue/white/purple tips

EE9133D6-A9F9-48DB-A8AD-543FCA9BE5CE.jpeg

purple holy grail.png

the purple tip is personally my fav and will be getting 1 in january
The blue tip on Torch corals are stunning and I wish I could find one with the blue tips.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Indiana Jones (whom I consider to be the definitive source on Holly grail dogma) the Holly grail coral should be that ugly browned out acro that looks like it's best days are in the past.
I don't think I want to go on that quest.
indiana jones father GIF

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy grail coral is the one you want in the moment. Once you get it and have it for a couple months, the next holy grail comes. Then you want that one. LOL.
This was my holy grail. My Walt Disney. Bought it in March of this year and here it is off a pic I took last week.
It's not my holy grail now. My tank is too packed to even think about my next holy grail.

20220309_153201.jpg 20221112_193908.jpg 20220312_140630.jpg 20221201_170358.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back